Design LM324 Op Amp Inverting Amplifier with Gain of 50

In summary, the conversation discusses using an LM324 op amp to build an inverting amplifier with a gain of 50 and measuring the cut-off frequency. The suggested circuit requires two power supplies and has a gain of R/1000. The results should be plotted on a graph as a function of log(frequency) and commented on.
pat666

Homework Statement

1. Using the LM324 op amp build an inverting amplifier with a gain of 50.
Measure the cut-off frequency.
2. Plot your results on a graph as a function of log(frequency). Comment on the
results

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can some one give me a hand with a please

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you assume your op-amp works in linear section in the process?

This is for a lab so I'm not completely sure but I assume so.

You would need a circuit like this:

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/opamp%20non%20inv%202%20bias.PNG

The circuit requires two power supplies. One of them has its negative terminal grounded and supplies +12 V to the opamp.
The other has its positive terminal grounded and it supplies -12 V to the circuit.

The gain of the circuit is = R / 1000 so you can calculate the value of R. You may need two resistors in parallel to get this value.

Last edited by a moderator:
THANKS vk6kro

1) How do I determine the resistor values for a gain of 50 in an LM324 op amp inverting amplifier?

The resistor values can be determined using the formula Rf/Rin = -A, where Rf is the feedback resistor, Rin is the input resistor, and A is the desired gain. For a gain of 50, Rf should be 50 times larger than Rin. For example, if Rin is 1kΩ, Rf should be 50kΩ.

2) What is the purpose of using an LM324 op amp inverting amplifier with a gain of 50?

The purpose of using this type of amplifier is to amplify a small input signal by a factor of 50. This can be useful in various applications such as signal processing, audio amplification, and sensor interfacing.

3) Can I use different values for the feedback and input resistors in an LM324 op amp inverting amplifier?

Yes, different values can be used for the feedback and input resistors. However, the ratio between the two resistors should still be equal to the desired gain. For example, if Rf is 100kΩ and Rin is 2kΩ, the gain will still be 50 (100kΩ/2kΩ).

4) What is the maximum output voltage of an LM324 op amp inverting amplifier with a gain of 50?

The maximum output voltage will depend on the power supply voltage and the input signal. However, it is generally recommended to keep the output voltage below the power supply voltage to avoid distortion or damage to the op amp.

5) Are there any limitations to using an LM324 op amp inverting amplifier with a gain of 50?

One limitation is that the input signal should not exceed the power supply voltage, as this can cause clipping and distortion in the output signal. Additionally, the op amp may have a limited bandwidth and slew rate, which can affect the performance at higher frequencies.