Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Design by Nature

1. May 17, 2008 #1
    ‘The genius of man may make various inventions, encompassing with various instruments one and the same end; but it will never discover a more beautiful, a more economical, or a more direct one than nature’s, since in her inventions nothing is wanting and nothing is superfluous’ - Leonardo da Vinci (translated by Richter, 1952).

The goal of Biomimetics (also referred to as “bionics”) is to make use of exactly this fact. Nature has a 2 billion year evolutionary head start on us and where better to turn for inspiration?

Current biomimetics research depends entirely on inter-disciplinary cooperation and I am of the understanding that, due to the diversity of the field and the exceptionally large range of design possibilities, things will probably remain like this for the foreseeable future. Since I’m an undergraduate BSc Physics student, I sincerely hope that this is indeed the case and it’s partly the reason for starting this thread.

My aim here is to have a thread where ideas, concepts and “discoveries” can be shared and discussed but mostly, I am hoping to get input from people who are involved in biomimetic research/design (if there are any here) as well as opinions from physicists, engineers, biologists and chemists about the relevancy of their fields (which will include all the sub-disciplines) and where applications of their particular expertise will be most useful in biomimetic design and engineering.

Last but not least, the heading for this thread was taken from a National Geographic Article that I'd recommend as an easy introduction to this absolutely fascinating discipline.

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2008 #2
    Article dated June 14 2006 from "Scientific American".

And for those of you who can speak the language of biomedical science, the results were published here in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America

Pretty nifty hey? :smile:
  4. May 20, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You may enjoy Vogel's Cat's Paws and Catapults where these ideas are discussed. He explores the differences between human technology and Nature's technology; one example is that we tend to design for stiffness (e.g., nobody wants to walk across floors that bow noticeably even if there is no change they will fail), while Nature's devices seem optimized for strength.
  5. May 20, 2008 #4
    Thanks Mapes. Will try and get hold of it.
  6. May 20, 2008 #5

Staff: Mentor

Cool idea for a thread, phyzmatix. I look forward to reading some of the posts. Thanks for the pointers to the articles as well.
  7. May 20, 2008 #6
    Thank you very much, kind sir! :biggrin:

Will post more articles as I find them and I'm still hoping to rope in some people who are "in the know" to comment over here. As a first year undergraduate, I don't even understand much of the science behind it yet, nevermind being able to discuss it...
  8. May 22, 2008 #7
    In construction, there's a growing interest in nature inspired design. The structural system of Beijing's 'Water Cube' ( to be used on Olympics for swimming events)was inspired by the formation of soap bubble. Also in Beijing, the 'Bird's Nest' was inspired by, well, a bird's nest. There's also a footbridge in Singapore whose geometry was inspired by the DNA's double helix.
  9. May 22, 2008 #8
    You wouldn't happen to have any links available? To articles or pics, whichever's easiest please.
  10. May 22, 2008 #9

Staff: Mentor

11. May 23, 2008 #10
    unfortunately, there's some restriction in my posting privileges so I can't give you the links. For the the mean time google for the Beijing National Aquatic Center or famously known as 'Water Cube' and Beijing national Stadium otherwise known as "Bird's Nest".
  12. May 23, 2008 #11
    Of course sorry, I should've noticed. Will google as you said.

You're right, very, very good photo's there.
  13. May 23, 2008 #12
    Google produced and after clicking on the first two links that looked promising, this is what I got:

"Bird's Nest"

"Water Cube

An interesting note on the "Water Cube", as faux mentions, it's inspired by the formation of soap bubbles which is:

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  14. Jul 8, 2008 #13
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?