Design ideas

Main Question or Discussion Point

design ideas !!!!

hi guys

I am new to this but i am enjoying it.I am trying to make a project on generating light from human power eg. if some one is running on the trade mill we can attach device that generate X no of bulbs for Y time.any ideas pls!!!

Answers and Replies

FredGarvin
Science Advisor
Are you saying that you want to hook up a generator to a treadmill?

Danger
Gold Member
Welcome to PF, Nim.
Anything that a person can cause to move is capable of generating electricity. If you're looking for the best efficiency, I'd seriously consider using a stationary bike rather than a treadmill.

The bike would certainly work and pretty easily at that. Keep in mind you're probably only gonna produce maybe 200W.

yes i had that thot in mind but i used trdae mill as en example and if according to TVP 45 i can generate 200w thats a good enough for me to light 5 bulbs of 40 watts but any more indepth discussion welcome

Danger
Gold Member
Generally speaking, a human-powered device will be more efficient if that human is sitting down. That way, none of the potential energy is wasted for the purpose of standing up against gravity.

Are there any specific requirements for the amount of illumination, and/or the voltage potential?
You can achieve considerably higher efficiency in using LEDs, rather than household incandescent bulbs.