Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Design ideas

1. Mar 14, 2008 #1
    design ideas !!!!

hi guys

I am new to this but i am enjoying it.I am trying to make a project on generating light from human power eg. if some one is running on the trade mill we can attach device that generate X no of bulbs for Y time.any ideas pls!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2008 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Are you saying that you want to hook up a generator to a treadmill?

4. Mar 14, 2008 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Nim.
    Anything that a person can cause to move is capable of generating electricity. If you're looking for the best efficiency, I'd seriously consider using a stationary bike rather than a treadmill.

5. Mar 14, 2008 #4
    The bike would certainly work and pretty easily at that. Keep in mind you're probably only gonna produce maybe 200W.

6. Mar 15, 2008 #5
    yes i had that thot in mind but i used trdae mill as en example and if according to TVP 45 i can generate 200w thats a good enough for me to light 5 bulbs of 40 watts but any more indepth discussion welcome

7. Mar 15, 2008 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Generally speaking, a human-powered device will be more efficient if that human is sitting down. That way, none of the potential energy is wasted for the purpose of standing up against gravity.

8. Mar 22, 2008 #7
    Are there any specific requirements for the amount of illumination, and/or the voltage potential?
    You can achieve considerably higher efficiency in using LEDs, rather than household incandescent bulbs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?