How can I determine the best design for clamping teeth for a clamping device?

In summary, the conversation is about designing a clamping device for pulling I beam piles from the ground for recycling. The main concerns are determining the depth, number, and angle of the clamping teeth as well as finding a design guide to follow. One suggestion is to use non-slip pads instead of teeth. The pulling force is estimated to be around 10 tons and the design is for a casing vibrator using high carbon steel. The design method for this type of clamping is rare and the conversation ends with one participant admitting they do not have enough knowledge to provide further help.
Su Solberg
Dear All,

I am designing a clamping teeth for a clamping device.
The clamping device is to pulling I beam pile from the ground for recycling mounted on a hydraulic jack.
I wonder how could I determine the depth of the teeth, number of teeth and the angle of teeth. As the teeth will grab into the I beam and leave a permanent grab mark, I wonder what design guide I can follow.

Seem it related to energy method, am I correct??

Thanks for your kind help

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi, Su.
Does it have to be teeth? I ask only because I suspect that non-slip pads such as a silicone compound might be more appropriate.

Danger said:
Hi, Su.
Does it have to be teeth? I ask only because I suspect that non-slip pads such as a silicone compound might be more appropriate.

I am reference to the clamping teeth of a Casing Vibrator which use high carbon steel.
The pulling force would be around 10 ton + friction.

I see. That's a lot bigger scale than I was thinking of.

Since the clamping method is destructive (which is a quite rare method), I wonder how would be the calculation rather than copying the stuff from an existing clamp.

I'm afraid that I have to bail on this conversation due to a lack of competency. Good luck with it.

1. What is the purpose of clamping teeth?

Clamping teeth are used to hold objects securely in place. They provide a strong grip and prevent slipping or movement of the object.

2. How do you determine the size and shape of clamping teeth?

The size and shape of clamping teeth are determined by the size and shape of the object being clamped. It is important to have enough teeth to evenly distribute the clamping force and prevent damage to the object.

3. What materials are commonly used in the design of clamping teeth?

Common materials used in the design of clamping teeth include steel, aluminum, and plastic. The material should be strong enough to withstand the clamping force and durable enough to withstand repeated use.

4. How do you ensure an even distribution of clamping force with clamping teeth?

An even distribution of clamping force can be achieved by having multiple teeth or ridges on the surface of the clamping mechanism. This helps to distribute the force evenly and prevent any one tooth from bearing too much pressure.

5. Can clamping teeth be used in different applications?

Yes, clamping teeth can be used in a variety of applications such as woodworking, metalworking, and automotive industries. They are also commonly used in household tools and appliances for holding objects in place during use.