1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Design of a linear machine

1. Sep 28, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I am trying to design a Synchronous PM linear machine but do not know from where to start. The only known parameters are the required power and the maximum distance that the translator can move. Can anyone guide me on how to proceed please?

Thanks
    Annalise

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Can you please give us the exact assignment statement? And what is a Synchronous PM linear machine?

4. Oct 1, 2012 #3
    We want to design a linear generator with magnets mounted on its translator.
    A linear generator is "unrolled" version of the rotational one. Read more on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_motor

This generator is going to be designed for a wave energy converter, thus the generator is excited by slow and irregular inputs. The idea is that the machine will later be connected to the grid however for my studies I am not going into the design of the power electronics as well but the more the output is closer to a 3 phase system the less complicated the power electronics will later be.

My problem is how do you determine for example the number of slots, their height and tickness, the height and length of the magnet... By trial and error or are they related to the required outputs?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook