Design of a window opener mechanism -- problems

In summary: I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say.In summary, the problem is trying to design a mechanism for opening a window that requires less effort. The solution is to use a spiral torsional spring to store energy, which is released when opening the window.
Frederik
I have been struggling with this problem for a long time now, and are hoping you can help me. The assignment was to design a mechanism for opening a window with less effort. My way of solving this is to store energy in a spiral torsional spring as the window closes, which would be released when opening the window. I have tried to explain the resulting challenge in the picture below.
IMG_5547.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5547.jpg
    IMG_5547.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 526
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

Normally, schoolwork problems go in the Homework Help forums, but for projects like this where you show lots of work, we can sometimes allow them in the technical forums. I'll leave the thread here in ME for now.

I'm not seeing where the wire and spring mechanism are in relation to the window in your diagram in the upper left. Do you have more of a perspective drawing of the setup available? Or a drawing like in the upper left that shows where the wire is?

I hope these sketches illustrate the concept better:
IMG_5549.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5549.jpg
    IMG_5549.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 470
Likes Tom.G and berkeman
The axle which the window rotates about will actually be geared 1:2, meaning the pulley with varying radius will turn 90 degrees, from a fully open to fylly closed position of the window (window opens 45 degrees).

Note that in your very first formula in post #1 a factor ##1\over 2## is missing.

Question: why such a complicated design if you could simply let the window hinges be halfway the window (ie where mg acts) instead of at the top ?

Or counterbalance above the hinges in your design with something as heavy as the window but smaller

Likes Frederik
BvU said:
Note that in your very first formula in post #1 a factor ##1\over 2## is missing.

Question: why such a complicated design if you could simply let the window hinges be halfway the window (ie where mg acts) instead of at the top ?

Or counterbalance above the hinges in your design with something as heavy as the window but smaller
Such a window has already been produced by the company. Our lecturers want us to come up with a completely new design, not currently used by the company, therefore leaving out the simpler or more obvious mechanisms.

Why not rotate the window about a vertical axis, with the result that there is no change in potential energy required?

Likes berkeman
Dr.D said:
Why not rotate the window about a vertical axis, with the result that there is no change in potential energy required?
That's not an option unfortunately, i should have mentioned that it's a window ment for a roof angled 45 degrees.

Frederik said:
That's not an option unfortunately, i should have mentioned that it's a window ment for a roof angled 45 degrees.
Seems like it would work fine. Put the axle down the middle of the window matching the slope of the roof. Turn the window 90 degrees (half in and half out of the roof) to open it. The main challenge will be to design a good weather seal that can work with such a window opening scheme & motion...

Frederik said:
roof angled 45 degrees
The drawing in post # 1 says ##\pi/2## :rolleyes:

Likes Frederik

1. What are some common problems with window opener mechanisms?

Some common problems with window opener mechanisms include difficulty in opening or closing the window, jamming or sticking of the mechanism, and wear and tear of components over time.

2. How can I troubleshoot a malfunctioning window opener mechanism?

To troubleshoot a malfunctioning window opener mechanism, you can start by checking for any obstructions or debris in the mechanism, ensuring that all components are properly lubricated, and inspecting for any damaged or worn out parts that may need to be replaced.

3. What are some safety concerns with window opener mechanisms?

Some safety concerns with window opener mechanisms include the risk of fingers getting caught or crushed in the mechanism, potential for electric shock if the mechanism is powered, and the possibility of the window breaking or falling if the mechanism fails.

4. How can I improve the efficiency of a window opener mechanism?

To improve the efficiency of a window opener mechanism, you can consider upgrading to a more modern and efficient mechanism, properly maintaining and lubricating the mechanism, and ensuring that the window frame and tracks are clean and free of debris.

5. What should I consider when designing a window opener mechanism?

When designing a window opener mechanism, some important factors to consider include the weight and size of the window, the type of opening mechanism (e.g. crank, slide, or push/pull), the materials and durability of the components, and the safety features that need to be incorporated.