Design of an automotive bumper

In summary, Kyle calculated the kinetic energy of a car moving at 32.2 ft/s and using a 6" crumple zone and 4 spring bumper, the car will stop with an energy of 3091.38 ft-lb.
James22

Homework Statement

I have attached the assignment below. The weight of the car will be 3702lbs

2ird38.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure if I am on the right track, but so far I have calculated the kinetic energy as;

E=1/2 mv^2
0.5 x (3702/32.2) x 7.33ft/s^2 = 3091.38 ft-lb

I have chosen to use a 6" crumple zone and 4 springs to absorb the impact.

This is where I run into trouble trying to get my head around the concept.

I know for the spring
U=0.5*k*s^2

where;
k = spring co-efficient
s = spring displacement

Since I am trying to stop the car in 6" do I have to treat the kinetic energy as double? Then divide it over the 4 springs that I will be using to stop the car?

Thanks,
Kyle

Physics news on Phys.org
After 6" your 4 springs combined needs to absorb all the kinetic energy of the moving car.

In other words, each spring needs to absorb 1/4 of the kinetic energy.

Energy before = energy after
E = U_1 + U_2 + U_3 + U_4 , and solve for k

Thank you SirAskAlot, I completed the calculations for the spring bumper using your assistance. Now I have to design a bumper using some type of foam. My professor provided me with a few graphs of the characteristics of foam (PSI vs deflection). I have decided to use a 65.5" wide by 6" tall bumper to represent the average midsized car. That works out to have a surface area of 393in^2

What I am struggling with is the fact that I will need to calculate deceleration, so I will need to know the force (I was planning on using a=F/m).

My initial thought was to take the kinetic energy (3091.3 ft-lb) and convert it to in-lb (37092 in-lb)

Then I went;
37092 in-lb / 393 in^2 = 94.38 lb/in

Is it possible to spread the kinetic energy over the bumpers surface area like this? I still need the stopping force to calculate deceleration though.

Thank you in advance.

coz76.jpg

Last edited:

What is the purpose of an automotive bumper?

The main purpose of an automotive bumper is to absorb impact and protect the vehicle's body and safety systems in the event of a collision. Bumpers also enhance the aesthetic appearance of a vehicle and can improve its aerodynamics.

What materials are commonly used in automotive bumper design?

The most commonly used materials in automotive bumper design are steel, aluminum, and plastic. Steel is durable and provides good impact resistance, while aluminum is lightweight and can improve fuel efficiency. Plastic is often used for its flexibility and ability to be molded into various shapes.

How are automotive bumpers tested for safety?

Automotive bumpers are tested using a series of impact tests to ensure they meet safety standards. These tests involve simulating different types of collisions, such as low-speed impacts and pedestrian impacts, to assess the bumper's ability to absorb energy and protect the vehicle's occupants.

What factors are considered in the design of an automotive bumper?

When designing an automotive bumper, factors such as aerodynamics, weight, cost, and safety standards must be taken into consideration. The bumper must also be designed to fit seamlessly with the rest of the vehicle's body and accommodate features such as headlights, grille, and sensors.

What are the current trends in automotive bumper design?

Some current trends in automotive bumper design include using lighter and more durable materials to improve fuel efficiency and increase impact resistance. There is also a focus on incorporating advanced technologies, such as sensors and cameras, into bumpers to enhance safety features and improve overall vehicle performance.