Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Design of an eccentric lobe

1. Jan 16, 2015 #1
    Guys does anyone know the design procedure for an eccentric lobe and a crankshaft. Crank is subjected to maximum load 350 kg periodically. As load is applied the crank rotates the eccentric for about 50 degrees and runs the shaft connected to the eccentric runner. Its urgent. Can anyone help out.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2015 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Is the eccentric a solid part of the crankshaft?
    What do you mean by “and runs the shaft connected to the eccentric runner”.
    Can you provide a diagram?

4. Jan 17, 2015 #3
    it is a moving part with respect to the crankshaft.. I'm yet to model the whole assembly. but i did draw you the particular part. hope you can make out something out of it

Attached Files:

5. Jan 17, 2015 #4

Baluncore

Science Advisor

It seems to me from your diagram that your “shaft” is a crank, and your “Crank” is a connecting rod. This may be a problem of terminology.

6. Jan 17, 2015 #5
    Oh yeah.. Sorry for the error in the terminology.. I need to run the crankshaft.. And i need to design the connecting rod and eccentric lobe and get the dimension of the shaft. Is there a analytical design procedure that you could help me out with.

7. Jan 17, 2015 #6

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Where is the "eccentric lobe" in the system ?
    Does the crankshaft rotate continuously or does it reciprocate through part of a turn only when needed ?

8. Jan 17, 2015 #7
    The panel gets a periodic load which tends to move it up & down and hence the connecting rod drives the eccentric lobe. Which in result rotation of the shaft. That's all..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook