Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Design of Car Chassis

1. Apr 21, 2007 #1
    Hi,
    Well i have a project of designig a car chassis ad i really needed help on the different forces that act on the chassis during operation and their position on the chassis.
    If anybody could help me please.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2007 #2

Danger

Gold Member

It would be helpful if you can elaborate upon what sort of application is involved.

4. Apr 22, 2007 #3
    Forces acting on the chassis would simple be forces from the suspension and shock absorber points and forces translated through the the axles. To figure out what those are depends on the application and configure of the components. Chassis design depends completely on suspension design and drive train components and configuration.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  5. Apr 22, 2007 #4
    And, I would imagine, also the aerodynamic forces. :wink:

6. Apr 22, 2007 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Also some rather large transient loads, if you crash the car :smile:

7. Apr 23, 2007 #6

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Torsion from the road surface, torque from drivetrain and brakes, weight of supported components, reactions at suspension and steering mounts, inertial forces....

... use your imagination.

8. Sep 29, 2009 #7
    to start with just look after your specification for vehicle and decide the points of load application for suspension and body anolg with the axles.
    once you are through with it go for stage wise calculation
    A. static
    which involvs just weight of the various loaded components and parts
    B. dynamic
    which involves forces due to road bumps through shock absorbers , engine torque actin as inertial forces, aerodynamic forces by air density and area of car encountered by it. but remember take into account forces in lateral, longitudnal as well as transverse direction

9. Sep 29, 2009 #8

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

see old post Jul22-09, 11:03 AM

Race car suspension Class

10. Sep 29, 2009 #9
    proper torque is very important to ensure no loose nut behind the steering wheel

dr

11. Sep 29, 2009 #10

S_Happens

Gold Member

Hopefully the OP finished his project since it was started 2 1/2 years ago and he never replied since then.

12. Sep 29, 2009 #11
    lol. if thats old this is ancient.:rofl:

13. Sep 29, 2009 #12
    may be this is helpfull for those who are looking for the same answers...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?