Can Carbon Nanotubes and DNA Improve Electronic Nose Design?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of designing an electronic nose and the resources available for information. The speaker initially asked for help in getting started and finding concepts related to electronic noses. Another person suggested using audio white noise to generate reactions for an electronic nose. However, it was later clarified that the topic was about electronic noses, not noise. The conversation then shifted to discussing resources, particularly Wikipedia and Google, for information on electronic noses. One person mentioned using bomb sniffing technology as a potential resource. Another person suggested looking at a specific study published in Nano Letters about using carbon nanotubes and single stranded DNA for a sensor. The conversation also touched upon the difficulties in finding construction details for electronic noses through online searches. Overall
italy669
I wanted to get information about how to design an electronic nose.How to get started, how to get concepts related to it.Can anyone help me?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here's a way to generate audio white noise.

Attachments

• NOISE.jpg
    NOISE.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 382
OMG! I just realized that both dlgoff and I misread the OP's question (and even the title of the thread!). Nose, not noise.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Okay, sorry about that. Electronic nose. Hmmm, where to start. Beats me. What kind of resources do you know about already? With all the bomb sniffing technology around right now, there must be some pretty good info on different reactions that can be used for "smelling" various stuff.

What kind of things have you been able to find through google so far?

Hi,
I too wanted to know about details of constructions of electronic nose.By GOOGLE, one gets information about what e-nose is, it's uses and very little is known about principles and constuctional details.I mean what gas sensors to use, how gas sensors are arranged etc. Does anyone have any idea on its construction details?

You could try September Nano Letters.

Describes carbon nanotubes layered with single stranded DNA for a sensor.

1. What is an electronic nose and how does it work?

An electronic nose, also known as an e-nose, is a device that mimics the sense of smell by using various sensors to detect and analyze the chemical composition of a sample. It works by collecting and processing data from the sensors, which is then compared to a database of known odors to identify and classify the sample.

2. What are the main applications of electronic noses?

Electronic noses have a wide range of applications in industries such as food and beverage, environmental monitoring, healthcare, and security. They can be used for quality control, product development, disease diagnosis, and detection of hazardous substances.

3. How is the design of an electronic nose determined?

The design of an electronic nose is determined by the specific application and the type of sensors needed to detect the target compounds. Factors such as sensitivity, selectivity, and response time are also taken into consideration when designing an e-nose.

4. What are the advantages of using an electronic nose over traditional methods of detecting odors?

Electronic noses offer several advantages over traditional methods of odor detection, including faster analysis time, non-invasive sampling, and the ability to detect a wider range of compounds. They also eliminate the need for trained human sensory panels, making the process more objective and cost-effective.

5. What are the limitations of electronic noses?

One of the main limitations of electronic noses is their lack of specificity, as they may not be able to distinguish between similar odors. They also require regular calibration and maintenance to ensure accurate results. Additionally, electronic noses may not be suitable for detecting low levels of volatile compounds or for complex mixtures of odors.