Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Design of pressure vessel

1. Nov 2, 2015 #1
    I have been asked to design a pressure vessel and the data given to me for the problem is -
    content -oil of density 0.9 g/ cm3.
    material with ultimate tensile strength of 70,000 psi.
    factor of safety 3.
    volume 50 m3.
    How do I calculate the internal pressure and diameter, which I will need to calculate the shell thickness.The relation between length and diameter is not given.Also, is the data given to me insufficient to design the pressure vessel?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2015 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Designing pressure vessels safely requires considerable technical knowledge and experience and they have to be designed to conform a pressure vessel design code .

ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel code is used in many countries .

In any case you have not been given enough basic information to start the design process .

If this is a real design exercise then you will need to get professional help . If this is an academic exercise then we can discuss the principles involved a bit more if you wish .

4. Nov 2, 2015 #3
    this is an academic exercise

5. Nov 2, 2015 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK .

First thing we need is the working pressure . You really need to be given this in the specification but if you have no guidance at all we'll use a fictional but realistic value for the type of pressure vessel under consideration .

Are we looking at :

(1) A simple storage tank where the only pressure comes from gravity acting on the contained oil ?

(2) A process vessel of some sort where pressure is probably going to be much higher ?

Only you can decide .

6. Nov 2, 2015 #5
    A pressure vessel

7. Nov 2, 2015 #6

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook