Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Design of saline drip package?

1. Nov 16, 2007 #1
    Design of saline drip package??

Hi all.
    I am studying the principle of the saline drip package in order to modify it to suit my slow-flow-rate delivery system.
    But I can hardly find any explanation of the principles involved.
    Do anyone have such links? or could you explain the principles of such a drip package?
    What's so special with such a design? Especially the thing encircled.
    It is said that the volume of each droplet remains the same all the time. But, so what?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2007 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I always thought that, whatever that part is called, is used to set a constant flow rate. Since most medicines I have seen are based on volume, it makes sense to me. I would imagine it is simply an orifice that sets the flow. I'll join the hunt and see if I can find anything.

4. Nov 16, 2007 #3

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Well here's what I could find on it. Apparently the typical setup is a gravity feed system.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intravenous

Hope this helps...

CS

5. Nov 16, 2007 #4
    Thanks. Such a device can produce a constant flow rate as the amount of saline consumes?

6. Nov 16, 2007 #5

Thanks. Let me have a look first.

7. May 30, 2008 #6
    well the drip package has a controller by which you can adjust the frequency and flow rate of the medicine that has to be administered.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?