Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Design of Tapered Sections

1. Oct 9, 2007 #1
    Hi there

Am basically a structural Engineer I got struck while Designing the Tapered Section. I want to know how these members should be designed as a flexural members. how can I calculate the deflection in these members & allowable compressive bending stress.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2007 #2
    Are you asking about tapered beams? Do you have access to Machinery's Handbook?
  4. Oct 11, 2007 #3
    yes i am talkig about tappered sections. Are you having relevant data for that.
  5. Oct 11, 2007 #4

Science Advisor

What is there to really know? Do you have anything in your background regarding beam loading? Basic beam analysis would still hold true except now the cross sectional moment of inertia is going to be a function of distance along the beam. You'll have to integrate to get the results. Of course, if you're talking about a complicated structure then you'll need numerical analysis.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?