Design pattern i have found on an old artifact.

In summary, a person recently visited their grandfather who showed them an old artifact from Egypt that was passed down through generations. The artifact is a circular container with a symbol on it. The person sketched the symbol and later discovered it is known as "The Flower of Life". They also discussed other Egyptian symbols and the possibility of the civilization being more advanced than previously thought.
ludobarbot
Hi everyone,

Recently i went to visited my grandfather and he brought me to his room where he pulled out an old artifact that he got from his father that got it from his father. He says it is from Egypt.

it like a circle container and has a symbol on it.
The symbol really intrigued me so i drew a rough sketch of it and drew it on pc later.
Does this symbol mean anything to anyone here?

i read that many egyptian symbols had amazing meanings in terms of maths and physics.

Best regards to all,

Ludo

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-25 at 1.10.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-25 at 1.10.59 PM.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 560
Physics news on Phys.org
ludobarbot said:
Hi everyone,

Recently i went to visited my grandfather and he brought me to his room where he pulled out an old artifact that he got from his father that got it from his father. He says it is from Egypt.

it like a circle container and has a symbol on it.
The symbol really intrigued me so i drew a rough sketch of it and drew it on pc later.
Does this symbol mean anything to anyone here?

i read that many egyptian symbols had amazing meanings in terms of maths and physics.

Best regards to all,

Ludo

The sketch is not perfect as i don't have the piece with me. It is very close but i might have missed out some stuff

DavidSnider said:
That is known as "The Flower of Life".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flower_of_Life

Wow thanks for the link.

Maybe my grandfather is just pulling my leg. I doubt he's grandfather found something like that in Egypt...

It seems way to important an precious to be in his possession.
Next time i go i will try get a picture but it is crazy how the pyramids have amazing things associated to them.

Like the speed of light, pi, the golden ratio.

It could have been from Egypt.. It has been found at the Temple of Osiris in Abydos and Mt. Sinai.

I just looked up your speed of light reference. I had never heard that before. That is a really cool coincidence.

Speed of Light: 299,792,458 m/s (meters per second)
Great Pyramid Grand Gallery: 29.9792458°N Latitude

DavidSnider said:
I just looked up your speed of light reference. I had never heard that before. That is a really cool coincidence.

That is a big coincidence...
Sometimes i wonder if they were not a very advanced civilization.

Here is video you might enjoy i just saw it now:
At 55 minutes it gets really interesting.

Mentor edit: Links to crackpottery are not allowed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, no. It's just a coincidence. Meters had no significance to the Egyptians.

Numerology sucks.

DavidSnider said:

The only pyramid on that line is the Pyramid of Khufu at 29.979245,31.134514. I don't know Khafre was but he was way off on his coincidences, his pyramid is at 29.975625,31.13107!

Point being you can find coincidences like this everywhere. Looking for meaning in it is a straight road to crackpottery. Considering the arbitrary concepts of longitude, latitude and metres were invented long after there is clearly no link.

Last edited:
Did you know Borek has five letters and two vowels, just like Egypt does?

I know it's a meaningless coincidence, but it's still kind of extraordinary that one of the 7 wonders of the world has the exact value in latitude as the speed of light.

Meters, longitude and latitude are based on (practically) natural constants, so I don't think they are really that arbitrary.

I'm not trying to go into crackpot territory but it's interesting to consider just what they could have known.

DavidSnider said:
Meters, longitude and latitude are based on (practically) natural constants, so I don't think they are really that arbitrary.
The metre is very abitrary, it was originally chosen as the length of a second pendulum and the second is an artefact of ancient Babylonian practice of having things subdivided sexagesimally (which IIRC was later meshed with another ancient idea of dividing by simple fractions i.e. 24 = 2/12, 3/8, 4/6... to make the modern time keeping system).

DavidSnider said:

But their numerical values are not (and in fact they do change occasionally).
The speed of light is a constant, but its numerical value is complettely arbitrary and was essentiall choosen for convenience.
A more extreme example of this is the permeabilty of free space (4pi*1e-7), this was defined to be a constant because it made our equations simpler, all the "ugly" bits were taken over by other constants. Interestingly, the permeabilty of free space might have to be changed in a few years, I think it has something to do with giving definite values to the Boltzman constant)

I'm not sure I understand -- if it was chosen for convenience doesn't that suggest that it's not completely arbitrary?

DavidSnider said:
I know it's a meaningless coincidence, but it's still kind of extraordinary that one of the 7 wonders of the world has the exact value in latitude as the speed of light.

I'm not trying to go into crackpot territory but it's interesting to consider just what they could have known.

You can be sure that it was nothing to do with how fast light travels!

"Arbitrary", in this context, means the numerical, chosen value. If a civilisation in Alpha Centauri had Science labs, you can be sure they wouldn't use the metre, the second or the kg. But they would be using pi,e and units of length and time, probably based on things like the Hydrogen Atom. That wouldn't be 'creepily mystical'. It would just be because they would have been arrived at as a result of the same rational thought processes and the fact that we all share the same elements. They would also need to be at a similar stage in their technology. The fact that some 'high priests' would have dug those values out of somewhere supernatural is laughable.
There's such a strange combination of reverance and dismissiveness about technology in the past. The Victorians, using no computers or electronics, managed to build fantastic stuff that was well suited to the jobs they wanted done - likewise the mediaeval Cathedral builders. You can do lots of clever things with different methods from what's used today (no magic). People may not believe it but you can rely on the 'times tables' and 6-figure log tables for most things. You don't actually need a calculator to work out 10X10!

It is laughable but I don't recall anybody in here invoking the supernatural...

sophiecentaur said:
units of length and time, probably based on things like the Hydrogen Atom

Unless these units would be based on the average second tentacle diameter and 1/8 of their day (you divide everything by eight when you have eight tentacles, don't you?).

They can't even get that right. There should, surely, be ten tentacles. (Thanks to Gerard Hoffnung RIP)

DavidSnider said:
It is laughable but I don't recall anybody in here invoking the supernatural...

Well, if it's not supernatural then it's just plain old happenstance. Weird - I just threw six heads in a row - etc and my birthday was the same as someone else on the bus this morning. You need to get the probabilities sorted out before looking for something 'special' about two numbers that happen to look a bit close together.

sophiecentaur said:
Well, if it's not supernatural then it's just plain old happenstance. Weird - I just threw six heads in a row - etc and my birthday was the same as someone else on the bus this morning. You need to get the probabilities sorted out before looking for something 'special' about two numbers that happen to look a bit close together.
Why are you lecturing him about something he clearly already understands?
DavidSnider said:
Well, no. It's just a coincidence. Meters had no significance to the Egyptians.

Just havin' a bit of an untargeted rant. :-)

My first thought when seeing this image was garrett.

500px-E8Petrie.svg.png

Borek said:
Did you know Borek has five letters and two vowels, just like Egypt does?
So what. Snyder is a much better fit.

Jimmy Snyder said:
So what. Snyder is a much better fit.
It even has one letter to spare.
Hey, that's fascinating. Could it be significant?

1. What is a design pattern?

A design pattern is a general, reusable solution to a commonly occurring problem in software design. It provides a template for solving a particular design problem in a way that is both efficient and effective.

2. How do design patterns differ from algorithms?

Design patterns focus on the overall structure and relationships between classes and objects in a system, while algorithms are step-by-step procedures for solving a specific problem. In other words, design patterns are higher-level concepts that can be applied to a variety of problems, while algorithms are more specific solutions to a single problem.

3. How can design patterns be beneficial?

Design patterns can improve the efficiency and maintainability of software by providing proven solutions to common design problems. They also promote design flexibility and code reuse, making it easier to modify and extend the software in the future.

4. Are there different types of design patterns?

Yes, there are three main categories of design patterns: creational, structural, and behavioral. Creational patterns focus on creating objects in a flexible and efficient manner, structural patterns deal with the composition of objects, and behavioral patterns address how objects interact with each other.

5. How do I know when to use a design pattern?

It is important to carefully consider the specific problem you are trying to solve and whether a design pattern would be appropriate. Some common indicators that a design pattern may be helpful include recurring design issues, complex or interconnected classes, and the need for flexibility and maintainability in the code.