Design Process flowsheet using ASPEN PLUS

In summary, this process design problem is challenging due to the lack of knowledge about the kinetics of the reactions. However, with the help of a simulation model, you can identify the optimal operating conditions for the system.
Elmansi
I have defined all the list of components necessary for this process and the chosen property method was (ENRTL-SR). I chose Gibbs reactor to simulate the low-temperature reactor, high-temperature reactor, and chemical absorber because the kinetics of the reactions is not known. Also, the Rstoic was chosen to simulate the photocatalytic reactor.

The images below contain the photolytic sulphur ammonia process schematic and chemistry and a proposed ASPEN PLUS flowsheet for the process (https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/03/f9/solar_thermo_h2.pdf). I am given only one operating condition for the reactor, namely the temperature, and the production rate of hydrogen.

First of all, how can one approach this design problem, given only these info. I can emulate the proposed flowsheet but I have a lot of doubts,like , what valid design specifications can I define in order for material and energy balances streams converge. I added the same blocks as in the ASPEN process flowsheet but I am stuck on how to continue from here.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    27 KB · Views: 276
  • 1572928527634.png
    1572928527634.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 287
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The first step to approaching this design problem is to define the design specifications and process parameters. This includes the temperature, pressure, flow rate, reactant concentrations, and other relevant parameters. Additionally, you should also define a set of performance objectives, such as the desired output hydrogen production rate. Once these specifications are determined, you can then proceed to building a model of the system in Aspen.In Aspen, you can start by setting up the flowsheet with the appropriate components and connecting them with streams. You will then need to set up the parameters for the individual components, such as the temperature, pressure, and flow rate. You can also set up the kinetics for each reaction taking place in the reactors. Finally, you can perform material and energy balances to ensure that the system is converging. Once you have a working simulation model, you can then perform optimization studies in order to identify the optimal operating conditions for the system. This could involve varying the temperature, pressure, reactant concentrations, and other parameters in order to maximize the output hydrogen production rate. You can also use the model to investigate the impact of different design parameters on the system performance. Overall, this approach will require a thorough understanding of the process and the parameters that influence it, as well as the ability to construct and simulate a model in Aspen.

1. What is ASPEN PLUS and how is it used in designing process flowsheets?

ASPEN PLUS is a process simulation software commonly used in the chemical engineering industry to design and optimize process flowsheets. It allows users to model and simulate various chemical processes, and provides tools for analyzing and optimizing the performance of these processes.

2. What are the key steps involved in designing a process flowsheet using ASPEN PLUS?

The key steps in designing a process flowsheet using ASPEN PLUS include defining the process components, specifying the process conditions and operating parameters, creating a process flow diagram, setting up the simulation in ASPEN PLUS, running the simulation, and analyzing the results.

3. Can ASPEN PLUS be used for both steady-state and dynamic simulations?

Yes, ASPEN PLUS can be used for both steady-state and dynamic simulations. Steady-state simulations are used to model processes that reach a stable operating condition, while dynamic simulations are used to model processes that have time-varying behavior.

4. How does ASPEN PLUS handle thermodynamic calculations?

ASPEN PLUS uses a rigorous thermodynamic model to perform calculations for various chemical systems. It includes a large database of thermodynamic properties for different components, and allows users to specify the desired thermodynamic model and parameters for their process.

5. Can ASPEN PLUS be used for designing any type of process?

While ASPEN PLUS is primarily used for designing chemical processes, it can also be used for designing other types of processes such as biochemical, environmental, and pharmaceutical processes. It is a versatile tool that can be applied to a wide range of industries and processes.