1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Design the logic circuit

1. Jan 22, 2015 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Draw the simplest logic gate or circuit for the description below. The inputs are ##a, b, c## and the output is ##z##.

##z = 0## only if ##abc = 010## or ##abc = 110##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So i drew up a quick table, AND and OR'ed the required terms together and came up with this:

IMG_0503.jpg

Is this okay? The input ##a## seems to have disappeared, which makes no sense to me. Unless its some sort of trick question where I only need 2 inputs since the output doesn't rely on ##a## at all.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Have you tried checking your answer with a Karnaugh map? I get a different answer...

4. Jan 22, 2015 #3

berkeman

Also, have you tried plugging the two values back into your answer...?

5. Jan 22, 2015 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

I'm trying to do this without a K-Map.

Plugging the values of ##b## and ##c## into my answer does provide the correct output, but I am unsure about the input ##a##.

I don't believe the answer is correct, and I am unsure how to algebraically simplify this if my above attempt is incorrect.

6. Jan 22, 2015 #5

berkeman

My apolgies! I missed in your OP that z=0 for those two terms. Your answer does look correct. Sorry for any confusion I caused...

7. Jan 22, 2015 #6

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Thank you for the clear up. I was just slightly confused about the inputs, but the logic worked out that way I guess.

8. Jan 22, 2015 #7

NascentOxygen

You did well. An alternative is to write ##\bar z\ =\ \bar a b \bar c\ +\ ab\bar c##

Then simplify this as you did with your expression earlier, to get z = ....

The answers will be the same. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted