Design with Springs in an Oscillating System

In summary, the individual is designing a harmonically oscillating piston cylinder device and needs to incorporate mechanical springs with a relaxed length in the middle of the piston stroke. They are wondering if a standard compression spring will work for this application and are looking for a quick solution. They also need a deflection rate of 191 lbf/in and are in need of attachment designs for the springs. A helical torsion spring may be a good option and possible attachment designs include hooks, spring anchors, and spring retainers.
h2oski1326
Hi everyone.

I am attempting to design a harmonically oscillating piston cylinder device and I need to incorporate some mechanical springs. To ensure the device works the way I want it too the relaxed length of the spring needs to be in the middle of the piston stroke.

This means the spring needs to be able to both compress and extend with an attachment mechanisms that will also allow this.

My question is regarding the spring type, will a standard compression spring work for this application? They seem to fall within my force rate range but do not seem to be able to be attached easily to be extended. I am looking for a relatively quick solution, so any type of custom spring (e.g. stamped) won't do.

Also, does anyone know of some standard attachment designs for these types of springs?

The total stroke of the device is 1''(2.54 cm) so the spring will need to be able to compress and extend half of that distance each way. I also need a deflection rate to be near 191 lbf/in (32 N/mm).

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi there,

It sounds like you are designing a very interesting device. In terms of the spring type, a standard compression spring should work for your application as long as it falls within your desired force rate range and can be attached easily. However, if you are looking for a quicker solution, you may want to consider using a helical torsion spring instead. These types of springs can be easily attached and have the ability to both compress and extend depending on the direction of rotation. They also have a high deflection rate, which may be beneficial for your device.

As for attachment designs, there are several options you could consider. One common design for attaching a spring is using a hook or loop at each end of the spring that can be attached to the device. Another option is to use a spring anchor, which is a small metal piece that can be attached to the device and has a hole for the spring to be attached to. Finally, you could also use a spring retainer, which is a metal or plastic piece that can be attached to the device and has a slot for the spring to be inserted into.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. How do springs work in an oscillating system?

Springs act as a restoring force in an oscillating system, meaning they push or pull objects back to their equilibrium position. When an object attached to a spring is displaced from its equilibrium position, the spring exerts a force in the opposite direction, causing the object to oscillate back and forth.

2. What is the significance of the spring constant in a design with springs?

The spring constant, also known as stiffness, determines the amount of force needed to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance. In a design with springs, the spring constant helps in selecting the appropriate type and size of spring for the desired oscillation frequency and amplitude.

3. How does the mass of the object affect the oscillation in a spring system?

The mass of the object attached to a spring affects the oscillation period, with a heavier mass resulting in a longer period. This means that the object will take longer to complete one full oscillation cycle. However, the mass does not affect the frequency of oscillation, which is determined by the spring constant and the mass of the spring itself.

4. What is the role of damping in a design with springs?

Damping is the process of reducing the amplitude of oscillation in a spring system. It can be achieved through various methods, such as using a shock absorber or adding friction to the system. Damping is important in a design with springs to prevent excessive oscillation and to maintain stability.

5. How can I calculate the natural frequency of an oscillating system with springs?

The natural frequency of an oscillating system with springs can be calculated using the equation f = 1/2π√(k/m), where f is the frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass of the object attached to the spring. This equation is also known as the harmonic oscillator equation.