1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Designing 4 BIT ALU (Need Help)

1. May 29, 2013 #1
    Hallo guys , I am first year electrical Engineer Major & we are asked to design and simulate using Multisim a small ALU ,

The ALU is a 4-bit digital circuit that performs addition, subtraction, ANDing, ORing, complementing, XORing, XNORing and comparison.
    The ALU also outputs if the answer is negative, zero, or overflow.
    Use 3 bits to select the function of the ALU.

I am kinda clueless where should i start , any hints on Multisim or how should i start this ? it would be really really appreciated if anyone Can contribute helping me or pointing me in the right direction .

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2013 #2

lewando

Gold Member

Start by putting your ALU design (or part of it, like just the adder) down on paper. Are you comfortable designing each function as a standalone (single-function ALU) circuit? If not, what are you having a problem with?

Then you need to put one of your single-function ALU designs into Multisim. There are many digital logic tutorials available for Multisim. Have you tried getting through any of these?

There is a tendency of some designers to put a complex design together and then test/debug it (thinking that it is not so complex, perhaps). If you can break the design down into manageable elements they become easier to test (or simulate--in this case) and troubleshoot. And you gain familiarity with Modelsim with minimal frustration.

Finally you are going to want to put it all together. If all of your single-function ALUs work, you are practically done--do all the functions in parallel and select which output you want.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted