1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Designing a angular momemtum demonstration

1. Oct 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Design an angular momentum demonstration. Back up your demo with a calculation(s)."

I was given two cylinders with adjustable ball bearings inside, and will have access to an incline once in class (the cylinders are designed to roll down it).

2. Relevant equations
    I = mr2/2
    Energybefore=Energyafter
    KEtranslational = 1/2mtotalv2
    KErotational = 1/2 I ω2
    Ug = mgh
    v = rω

3. The attempt at a solution

The cylinders both have four ball bearings of equal size and mass, however, I can change the length of their placement from the center of the cylinder. For the demonstration, I was planning to do so (and take measurements for the different radii), then place them on the inclines and see when they reached the bottom. The rest of the group would then guess which one had the smaller radius.

This is what I was implicitly told to do by my teacher, but I'm not positive that it works as a demonstration of angular momentum? Before I was given the materials, I was planning to do a demonstration with a bicycle wheel.

If this works, I'll be able to write up the experiment and take measurements to use later.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted