Designing a biomechanical device

In summary, the conversation discusses the purpose of the poster's post, which is to gather ideas for a biomechanical device that can assist people in overcoming problems in their lives. They are seeking input on various problems that people encounter and are not looking for solutions as the project is solely funded by the poster and has a limited timeframe. The conversation also mentions the poster's passion for creating designs that solve problems and their experience in design and manufacturing. Some potential ideas for the device are suggested, such as using Google Images for inspiration and addressing issues with loud or disruptive children in public places.
clancy2323
First of all, if this post is inappropriate in any way or located in the wrong sub-forum please just let me know and I will correct it (or delete it).

I am a long time reader of this forum but I have never posted before this. I really appreciate all of the people that contribute to this forum. Reading it has been a tremendous help throughout my years of undergraduate studies.

Now onto the purpose of this post:

For one of my senior design classes, I am tasked with designing a biomechanical device to assist people in overcoming some problem in their life. This "problem" can be anything from a minor inconvenience such as taking the trash out to something extremely serious such as difficulty convincing sick children to take medicine or performing rehabilitation exercises while in the hospital.
I have a passion for creating designs that solve problems. However, I really struggle to think of the many problems that could be solved. I am fortunate enough to have not encountered many serious problems in my life (such as significant illness/injury in the family, substantial financial difficulty, etc.) so I have very significant personal problems that I can think of which could be solved. Because of this, I am trying to find out more information about other people’s unique experiences and struggles. I am seeking your answer to the question: what problems (big or small) do you encounter in your life?

With that being said, I am NOT looking for the solutions to the problems that you suggest, since that would defeat the purpose of my project. Additionally, I only have approximately three months to develop a prototype to fix the problem and it will be solely funded out of my pockets. Because of this, the types of problems that I will be able to fix will be significantly constrained. I will not be able to develop anything that is overly large or complex (i.e. no software development, limited electro-mechanical interaction, etc.). I am also not looking for any problems that are social related such as “my problem is I hate my boss”, since it is extremely unlikely that I would be able to come up with anything solutions.

I am very interested in finding out problems involving human health, since I would love to help people who really need it. Examples of this could be some difficulty that senior citizens often experience or difficulties caring for an injured family member (or yourself). However, I would appreciate hearing suggestions for all other types of problems as well.

A little bit about my experiences (in an attempt to prove that I’m serious about this): I am a fifth-year undergraduate student at a large university in the United States. I have gained extensive design experience (and discovered my passion for it) by participating in the Formula SAE Collegiate Design Competition for all five years of my undergrad education. I have 8 years of CAD modeling experience (Unigraphics NX), 4 years of Finite Element Analysis experience (Ansys and Hypermesh), and 2 years of Computational Fluid Dynamics experience (Star-CCM+). I have designed well over 100 components in my years of working on the Formula SAE team, specifically in the Powertrain and Aerodynamic systems. I also have countless hours of experience using a CNC 3-axis mill, manual mill and lathe, composites (carbon fiber) manufacturing, and numerous other manufacturing methods.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read (and hopefully contribute) to this post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice post, clancy. :smile:

I may be able to throw out some more ideas after I think about it some, but here are two things to start...

When brainstorming stuff like this, I like to use Google Images. I just did a Google Images search on biomechanical problems, and got some interesting visual ideas. Maybe give that a try to see if it sparks any ideas for you.

Second, there was a story in the news over the past couple of days where a mom and her 2 y/o daughter were asked to leave a Panera's restaurant because the girl's shoes were making a noise that annoyed one of the customers. Did you see that news story? Think about the reason that the girl's shoes were making a noise -- does that help you think of other similar situations/devices/needs?

I'd like to be able to spread margarine on my two year old's toast with one hand.

What is biomechanical design?

Biomechanical design involves the application of engineering principles and techniques to the design and development of devices that interact with the human body. These devices can range from prosthetics and orthotics to medical equipment and sports equipment.

What factors should be considered when designing a biomechanical device?

Important factors to consider in biomechanical design include the intended purpose of the device, the specific needs and limitations of the user, the materials and manufacturing processes used, and any safety regulations or standards that must be met.

How do you test the effectiveness of a biomechanical device?

The effectiveness of a biomechanical device can be tested through a combination of computer simulations, laboratory experiments, and clinical trials. These tests can evaluate the device's functionality, durability, and compatibility with the human body.

What are the challenges in designing a biomechanical device?

Some challenges in designing a biomechanical device include balancing the trade-offs between functionality and comfort, addressing potential risks and complications, and ensuring that the device is cost-effective and accessible to those who need it.

How can biomechanical design be improved?

Continuous research and innovation are key to improving biomechanical design. Collaborations between scientists, engineers, and healthcare professionals can lead to new discoveries and advancements in the field. Additionally, incorporating user feedback and incorporating emerging technologies can also drive improvements in biomechanical design.