Making a homemade electric lighter

In summary, the author is trying to make an electric lighter using the framework of this guide, except that they will replace the soldering tip with nichrome wire and add a few more features. The author is stuck on two issues: first, if nichrome is the best material to use for the heating element, and second, how to keep the heating element at a constant temperature. The author recommends using rechargeable batteries and finding fine nichrome wire from an old hair dryer. The author also suggests using a thermal insulator to back the heating coil and attaching the wire to terminals with difficulty. Finally, the author recommends using electric jug or toaster element wire for the heating element.
theonecalledU
I'm trying to make an electric lighter ( like this http://imgur.com/a/wg8q7) using the framework of this guide.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-battery-powered-soldering-iron/?ALLSTEPS
except mine will have a few more feature and the soldering tip will be replaced with nichrome most likely.

Theres is just a few things that I am stuck on

-First, Is nichrome the best material to use as the heating element?
Assuming we do use a wire heating element the length of the wire will be 1.5-2 inches long, what would be the best gauge? any other details about it?

-Second, I need the heating element to stay at a constant temp of at least 500 Fahrenheit
What type of circuitry would I need to accomplish this, what if i wanted to to be able to control the amount of power?

-Third, what would be the best batteries to use for this? I was hoping to be able to use 4xAAA or 3AA

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
What are you intending to light with the device?

cigarettes and pipes

PF has a very strong policy on dangerous activities. Smoking tobacco is addictive and very dangerous. It will probably kill you.

Now after that caveat, back on the engineering subject of an electrical igniter.

The use of batteries to produce such heat would be very inefficient and so you would need to use rechargeable batteries.

You could get some fine nichrome wire from something like an old hair drier. You will only need a short length, maybe only about 1% of the length used in the drier. See what wire you can find and do some experiments.

Nichrome heater wire is a bit like stainless steel. It will be a challenge to attach it to terminals and hold the hot wire in place. You will need to back the heater coil with a good thermal insulator.

Electric jug element wire is very easy to solder to, if you can still get it. Toaster element wire is very difficult to solder to. In any case, the heated wire is likely to melt the solder. Perhaps a high temp solder might be a proposition?

How to Make an Electric Hot Wire Lighter :

1. How does a homemade electric lighter work?

A homemade electric lighter uses a battery and a coil of wire to produce a spark. When the battery is connected to the coil, it creates an electromagnetic field which causes the wire to heat up and produce a spark that can ignite a flame.

2. What materials do I need to make a homemade electric lighter?

The basic materials needed for a homemade electric lighter include a battery, a coil of wire, a switch, and some type of casing to hold everything together. You may also need some additional tools such as a soldering iron and wire cutters.

3. Can I use any type of battery for a homemade electric lighter?

Technically, you can use any type of battery for a homemade electric lighter as long as it has enough voltage to produce a spark. However, it is recommended to use a small, lightweight battery such as a AA or AAA battery for safety and convenience purposes.

4. Is it safe to make and use a homemade electric lighter?

Making and using a homemade electric lighter can be safe as long as proper precautions are taken. It is important to use caution when working with electricity and to follow all instructions carefully. It is also recommended to use a casing to prevent any accidental shocks or burns.

5. Can I customize the design of a homemade electric lighter?

Yes, you can customize the design of a homemade electric lighter by using different materials for the casing, or by adding decorative elements. However, it is important to ensure that any modifications do not compromise the functionality or safety of the lighter.