Designing a Magnetic Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a magnetic circuit using permanent magnets for a cyclotron application. The diagram provided shows two neodymium magnets in series with mild steel bars extending to duct the circuit around to two disk shaped pole pieces. The goal is to achieve a 10,000 gauss field at the pole disks with N50 magnets with a Br rating of 14,500 gauss. The individual is also looking for software, specifically Maxwell 3D, to estimate the field strength and uniformity.
Strat-O
For a cyclotron application, I want to make a magnetic circuit using permanent magnets.

The attachment shows a diagram of the circuit. It has two neodymium magnets "in series" and mild steel bars extend to duct the circuit around to two disk shaped pole pieces (red and blue). The diagram is basically to scale and the cross-section of the bars is 2 inches square.

I'm most interested in the strength and uniformity of the field at the red and blue pole disks which has a 1.5" gap. My goal is to get 10,000 gauss field at the pole disks. If the magnets are N50 with a Br rating of 14,500 gauss would I have a chance of achieving my goal?

Is there software that would let me plug in this geometry and make estimates of the field strength and its uniformity? (Note: a friend directed me to MEEP, which I'm currently exploring)

Thanks!

Strat-O

Attachments

• Circuit.jpg
    Circuit.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Strat-O said:
Is there software that would let me plug in this geometry and make estimates of the field strength and its uniformity?
Maxwell 3D would probably do that for you.

1. What is a magnetic circuit?

A magnetic circuit is a closed path or loop through which magnetic flux flows. It is made up of magnetic materials, such as iron or steel, and a source of magnetic field, such as a permanent magnet or an electromagnet.

2. Why is designing a magnetic circuit important?

Designing a magnetic circuit is important because it allows for efficient transfer of magnetic energy, which is essential for many technological applications. A well-designed magnetic circuit can help to increase the strength and direction of the magnetic field, leading to improved performance and reduced energy losses.

3. What factors should be considered when designing a magnetic circuit?

There are several factors that should be considered when designing a magnetic circuit, including the type and strength of the magnetic field required, the size and shape of the magnetic circuit, the materials used, and the operating conditions.

4. How can I calculate the magnetic flux in a magnetic circuit?

The magnetic flux in a magnetic circuit can be calculated using the formula Φ = B x A, where Φ is the magnetic flux in Webers (Wb), B is the magnetic flux density in Tesla (T), and A is the cross-sectional area of the magnetic circuit in square meters (m²).

5. Can computer simulations be used to design magnetic circuits?

Yes, computer simulations can be used to design magnetic circuits. These simulations use mathematical models and algorithms to analyze and optimize different design configurations. They can also help to predict the performance of the magnetic circuit and identify potential design improvements.