Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Designing a Peristaltic Pump

1. Mar 2, 2012 #1
    Hi Guys,
    Been researching peristaltic pumps, but cant find an industry standard in designing them.
    Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristaltic_pump) has a little bit of maths on the occlusion, and a basic idea on calculating the flow rate
    and this article explains a little of the theory
    http://www.coleparmer.com/TechLibraryArticle/579
    but there doesnt seem to be much in the way of a set of rules in designing one.
    I came up with a little bit of methodology and wondered whether you guys could comment - or had a better way of dealing with it:

Anyone agree/disagree or have a good reference - would love the comments, thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2015 #2

Hey, it looks like you were on the right track back in 2012. I'm surprised that in the span of 2 years or so, there's not been a single response to your post. I'd be happy to know what you found out later and what your experience was with building a peristaltic pump. I'm trying to design one myself. Please let me know if you can help.

4. Jan 14, 2015 #3

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Tabrez.Mahamad, welcome to PF.

A peristaltic pump moves the fluid volume in the tube along the tube. Since the tube can lie around almost 360° there is only a need for two pinch rollers, so one is always pinching the tube at any one time.

Fluid flow rate is proportional to the cross section of the tube multiplied by the linear rate that the pinch moves along the tube. The flow is reduced by the volume of the pinch rollers.

The energy needed to drive the pump will be the change in potential energy of the fluid being pumped, plus the net energy loss in pinching and releasing the elastic tube. Less pinch rollers will require less energy to pinch the tube, so use as few rollers as is geometrically possible while avoiding a loss of pinch. The change in fluid potential energy is quite independent of the number of pinch rollers used.

You can expect variation of a few percent in fluid flow rate depending on tube distortion effects at the pinch roller. That will change with time, temperature and the tube batch properties.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook