Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Designing a timing device.

1. Dec 15, 2008 #1
    Hi guys,

Background:

There are 2 relays, A and B that needs to be controlled (24V)

And a signal generating device that composes of a push button and an adjustable mechanism for timing delay between the 2 signals. (this is what I want to design)

Specification:

I want to design a device that, when I press the push button, relay A is activated for 1 second. Meanwhile, relay B is activated after a delay (of 150~300ms adjustable) after relay A is activated. Relay B also activates for 1 second.

Does anyone know if there are avaliable eletronic products that will aid me for this purpose?
    Such as an "adjustable delay timer" etc.

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2008 #2
    mcmaster.com has a ton of timing relays.

4. Dec 16, 2008 #3
    Thanks Proton, but I looked through mcmaster, the timing relays are in the range of second~hours while I need a delay in the order of milliseconds.

Secondly I think I dont need a timing "relay". I want to control my relay with a time delay device.

5. Dec 16, 2008 #4
    oh, yeah, milliseconds is pretty fast for what they have. i think i would start looking at designing something with 555/556 timers and some logic gates.

6. Dec 16, 2008 #5

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's a good place to start for using the 555 timer IC.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?