1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Designing an air gun to launch simulated rpg's

1. Jan 16, 2010 #1
    I am designing a simple air gun to launch a 1 kg projectile 50 m at 100 m/s. I estimated the drag & calculated the necessary angle for this, but I ran into a bit of difficulty with the pressure/valves.

I need to use an air compressor at around 125-150psi to power it. I'm still a freshman undergrad and for some reason, we skipped this topic in general physics. I thought through it, and I think I did the math correctly for a 3 inch valve into a 3 inch pipe. However, for a 2 inch valve into a 3 inch pipe I'm not sure - do I just calculate the force on a 2 inch diameter opening & use that as my force, even though it is a 3 inch diameter pipe?

I attached my math on both the projectile & the pressure/barrel. (I realize for the projectile I just calculated drag for the initial velocity (even though it changes with velocity) but for only 50m at 100 m/s it isn't a very significant decrease.)

EDIT: I hope this is in the right forum. It isn't really a homework/schoolwork/coursework problem, but I'm not sure if it would fit better in that forum. Sorry if I picked the wrong one!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted