Designing an ALU with memory

In summary: But before you even do that, you need to understand the spec. I'd suggest coming up with a list of questions on the spec, and try to get them resolved.
DiracBlue

Homework Statement

In this lab, we are supposed to design and build a multi-page schematic for the operation of an 4-bit arithmetic logic unit (ALU) capable of performing addition (ADD), negation (NOT), and bitwise AND (using Mutlimedia Logic). You will then build a memory with four lines capable of storing four bits per line.

Homework Equations

I don't even understand how to start. I have a general idea of which gates to make/the circuitry for the addition, but as for the subtraction, 2-bit AND and even the layout of the ALU/memory I am completely lost. Any help would be amazing.

I know we need to use:
# Have two 4-bit inputs using two keypads
# Have one 4-bit output using a 7-segment displays
# Be capable of displaying both inputs using a 7-segment display for each input
# Capture the input in D-flip-flops (labeled "SR1" and "SR2" for source register)
# Have a clock button (labeled "CLK")
# Have a global reset to reset all registers and displays (labeled "Reset")
# Allow the user to input LC-3 opcodes using switches (see textbook), and store the opcode in an instruction register (labeled "IR")
# Display the operation in progress with LEDs or other output device
# Be capable of performing a bitwise AND of the two operands
# Be capable of performing a bitwise NOT of the first operand
# Be capable of performing an ADD of the two operands using a ripple-carry full adder
# Capture the result of the operation with D-flip-flops (labeled "DR")
# Display the result of the operation on a 7-segment display
# Display with an LED if the result of an ADD had a carry-out
# Display with an LED if the output of the ALU is zero (labeled "Z")
# Display with an LED if the output of the ALU is positive (labeled "P")
# Display with an LED if the output of the ALU is negative (labeled "N")

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the statement for the addition: f3=A, f2= A'(and)B + A(and)B', f1= B(and)C' + B'(and)C and f0= A'C'D + A'CD' + ABD' + AB'D

Physics news on Phys.org
DiracBlue said:

Homework Statement

In this lab, we are supposed to design and build a multi-page schematic for the operation of an 4-bit arithmetic logic unit (ALU) capable of performing addition (ADD), negation (NOT), and bitwise AND (using Mutlimedia Logic). You will then build a memory with four lines capable of storing four bits per line.

Homework Equations

I don't even understand how to start. I have a general idea of which gates to make/the circuitry for the addition, but as for the subtraction, 2-bit AND and even the layout of the ALU/memory I am completely lost. Any help would be amazing.

I know we need to use:
# Have two 4-bit inputs using two keypads
# Have one 4-bit output using a 7-segment displays
# Be capable of displaying both inputs using a 7-segment display for each input
# Capture the input in D-flip-flops (labeled "SR1" and "SR2" for source register)
# Have a clock button (labeled "CLK")
# Have a global reset to reset all registers and displays (labeled "Reset")
# Allow the user to input LC-3 opcodes using switches (see textbook), and store the opcode in an instruction register (labeled "IR")
# Display the operation in progress with LEDs or other output device
# Be capable of performing a bitwise AND of the two operands
# Be capable of performing a bitwise NOT of the first operand
# Be capable of performing an ADD of the two operands using a ripple-carry full adder
# Capture the result of the operation with D-flip-flops (labeled "DR")
# Display the result of the operation on a 7-segment display
# Display with an LED if the result of an ADD had a carry-out
# Display with an LED if the output of the ALU is zero (labeled "Z")
# Display with an LED if the output of the ALU is positive (labeled "P")
# Display with an LED if the output of the ALU is negative (labeled "N")

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the statement for the addition: f3=A, f2= A'(and)B + A(and)B', f1= B(and)C' + B'(and)C and f0= A'C'D + A'CD' + ABD' + AB'D

Welcome to the PF.

That's a pretty big project. Start by drawing a block diagram, showing the data paths between the blocks, and what you initially think some of the control signals would be. Then you can go down into each block, and do logic diagrams for them. That's generally how you draw schematics anyway, in a hierarchical fashion, with the top page being the major blocks and the signals interconnecting them.

1. What is an ALU?

An ALU, or Arithmetic Logic Unit, is a crucial component of a computer's central processing unit (CPU). It is responsible for performing arithmetic and logical operations on data, such as addition, subtraction, AND/OR operations, and more.

2. What is the importance of designing an ALU with memory?

Designing an ALU with memory allows for the storage and retrieval of data within the ALU itself, reducing the need to access external memory. This can improve the overall performance and efficiency of a computer system.

3. How is an ALU with memory designed?

An ALU with memory is typically designed using digital logic circuits, such as gates, flip-flops, and multiplexers. These components are interconnected to perform the desired arithmetic and logical operations and store data in memory registers.

4. What are the challenges in designing an ALU with memory?

One of the main challenges in designing an ALU with memory is balancing the trade-offs between speed, size, and complexity. Additionally, ensuring the proper functionality and compatibility with other hardware components can also be a challenge.

5. What are the applications of an ALU with memory?

An ALU with memory is used in a variety of computing systems, including microprocessors, graphics processing units (GPUs), and specialized hardware such as digital signal processors (DSPs). It is also essential in applications that require high-speed data processing, such as real-time systems, scientific computing, and artificial intelligence.