Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Designing an automotive differential?

1. Oct 6, 2005 #1
    Does anybody know where i could find info (books of links) on designing an anutomotive differential? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I'd recommend first obtaining shop manuals showing the repair/rebuilding of various types. If there's a friendly mechanic around, he might lend you a few long enough to take photocopies of the relevant pages (I do that all the time for wiring diagrams). Also, try to get your hands on a couple of surplus ones and take them apart. Those 2 approaches will give you a very good understanding of how they work and what sort of stress levels they're built to withstand. The main types of gears that you'll have to become familiar with are hypoid and spider sets. A knowledge of springs will be needed as well, for designing the clutch packs.

4. Oct 6, 2005 #3
    I am actually very mechanical inclined, I build my own vehicals. I am also a senior mechanical egineering student. This design is for my final project and its for a tractor. I am pretty famillar with gear, I guess im just having troble with the anaysis of the spider set.

5. Oct 6, 2005 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Oops :redface:. Sorry 'bout that. You're already way ahead of me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?