Troubleshooting an Op Amp Circuit: Iterative Problem-Solving Methods

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an opamp circuit and determining the relationship between resistor values. The initial attempt at solving the problem resulted in 0=0, leading to a discussion about negative resistances and the need for an iterative approach to finding a solution.
Vishera

Homework Statement

af4mhjJ.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt: http://i.imgur.com/oKjwI8O.png

The problem is at the end, I get 0=0. What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vishera said:

Homework Statement

af4mhjJ.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt: http://i.imgur.com/oKjwI8O.png

The problem is at the end, I get 0=0. What did I do wrong?

Can you post a drawing of your opamp circuit, with the resistor names labeled? Thanks. :smile:

berkeman said:
Can you post a drawing of your opamp circuit, with the resistor names labeled? Thanks. :smile:

Sure, here is the drawing of the general circuit that I am aiming to design:
HRH4KpA.png

For that general circuit, the following equation applies:
ArKSEgn.png

Here is an example in the textbook:

TLjrkqx.png

fBCqinw.png

rude man said:
You sure it isn't Vo = 3V2 - 2V1?

I agree with rude man.

In all cases an input to the negative side of an single op-amp circuit will be inverted, while an input to the positive side will not be inverted.

rude man said:
You sure it isn't Vo = 3V2 - 2V1?

Is there any specific reason why you can't the following equation to:

ArKSEgn.png

to:

vo=3v1-2v2?

I understand that I get 0=0 but why do I get 0=0? Algebraically speaking, why would it matter if it were vo = 3v2 - 2v1 or vo=3v1-2v2?

It might be helpful to write:

##3 v_1 - 2 v_2 = v_1 + 2(v_1 - v_2)##

Then a really simple circuit solution might come to mind.

Vishera said:
Is there any specific reason why you can't the following equation to:

ArKSEgn.png

to:

vo=3v1-2v2?

I understand that I get 0=0 but why do I get 0=0? Algebraically speaking, why would it matter if it were vo = 3v2 - 2v1 or vo=3v1-2v2?

combing your two equations the way you initially had them -R2/R1 would have to equal three.

that would imply that you have a negative resistance, which is impossible

I would solve this problem through an iterative method.

1. determine the relationship between R2 and R1 based on the V1 coefficient (hint R2/R1 = ?)
2. choose resistor values such that the relationship is true
4. determine R3 and R4 values based on the V2 coefficient and R1 and R2.
5. If needed go back to step 1

donpacino said:
combing your two equations the way you initially had them -R2/R1 would have to equal three.

that would imply that you have a negative resistance, which is impossible

I understand that negative resistance is impossible in the real world, but shouldn't I at least get an answer with negative resistances in the math? I didn't even get an answer in the algebra which is confusing me.

you got unlucky with the numbers. for that particular (wrong) arrangement of equations there is no solution. why don't you try it again with the correct number orientation. If you don't believe you got unlucky, change coefficients in the equation to some random combination and see what happens.

I do want to point out that the best way to solve these problems is an iterative process.
I recommend following the process I gave you above.

1. What is an operational amplifier (op amp)?

An operational amplifier, or op amp, is an electronic device that amplifies the difference between two input voltages. It has a high gain and is commonly used in analog circuits to perform mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, differentiation, and integration.

2. What factors should be considered when designing an op amp circuit?

When designing an op amp circuit, some important factors to consider include the required gain, bandwidth, input and output resistance, power supply voltage, and the type of op amp (e.g. single-ended or differential). Other considerations may include noise, stability, and temperature effects.

3. What are the different types of op amps and their applications?

There are several types of op amps, including general-purpose, high-speed, low-noise, precision, and instrumentation op amps. General-purpose op amps are commonly used in audio and signal conditioning applications, while high-speed op amps are used in high-frequency circuits. Low-noise op amps are ideal for sensitive measurement applications, and precision op amps are used for accurate signal amplification. Instrumentation op amps are designed for precise measurement and data acquisition systems.

4. How do I choose the appropriate feedback network for my op amp circuit?

The feedback network of an op amp circuit is crucial in determining its overall performance. The type of feedback network used will depend on the specific application and desired circuit characteristics. Some common feedback topologies include inverting, non-inverting, and differential configurations. It is important to consider factors such as gain, stability, and input/output impedance when choosing a feedback network.

5. What are some common challenges when designing an op amp circuit?

Some challenges that may arise when designing an op amp circuit include noise, stability, and frequency response. Noise can affect the accuracy of the circuit and can be minimized by using low-noise components and proper grounding techniques. Stability issues can arise due to the interaction between the op amp and feedback network, which can be addressed by selecting appropriate components and ensuring proper compensation. Frequency response can also be a concern, especially in high-frequency applications, and can be improved through careful component selection and layout design.