1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Designing an op amp integrator

1. Feb 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Design an op-amp-based integrator with the dc gain equal to -10 V/V (use R1 = 200 Ω and R2 = 2 kΩ). Knowing the gain-bandwidth product of the μA741 op amp, find the proper value of a capacitance C of the integrator so that its 3dB frequency is 50 kHz.

2. Relevant equations

bg7QK.png (1)

3. The attempt at a solution

I have found out that the gain-bandwidth product of the amp is 1 MHz
    And this is my guess how the amplifier looks like.
    zBK1s.png

I think I could use formula (1) but i would think I had to replace R2 with this formula :
    dcgd6.png (2)

because the Op amp has a capacitor.

Am I on the right track for this?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Designing an op amp

The canonical approach to this is to model the op amp as a gain block ω0/s

where ω0 is your 1 MHz*2π. (So that the gain at 1 MHz = 1).

Then write the amplitude response of the combined network using your R2 and C chosen such that the new 3dB-down frequency is 50 KHz.

I might as well warn you that the result is a second-order transfer function, not just a nice
    K/(Ts+1) first-order one. Of course, it's still a lowpass filter with a definite 50-KHz 3db-down cutoff frequency. 2nd-orders are just bitchier than 1st to plot & calculate, but it's straight-forward.

Your text/instructor might have given you a short-cut approximation to this problem, yielding another 1st-order transfer function. I don't know.

You could try approximating the 2nd order xfr fn by a 1st order one by factoring the 2nd-order polynomial, starting tentatively with C assuming an infinite-gain op amp, then throwing out the less significant pole.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  4. Feb 18, 2012 #3
    It is also known as a low pass filter because at 'low' frquencies Xc is large and the DC(and AC) gain is given by -R2/R1.
    At 'high' frequencies Xc is small and 'shorts' R2. The gain falls with increasing frequency.
    An important point (from a practical point of view) is when Xc = R2. Can you see when this occurs the DC gain will have halved?

5. Feb 18, 2012 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. The OP is asked to include the effects of the gain-bandwidth product of the 741.
    2. Gain when XC = R2 is reduced to 1/√2 of the DC gain, not 1/2.

6. Feb 19, 2012 #5
    Correction noted 1/√2 not 1/2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook