Designing an op amp integrator

In summary: Second-order x-factor approximation is 1st-order.4. X-factor approximation can be found by factoring the 2nd-order polynomial.
Huumah

Homework Statement

Design an op-amp-based integrator with the dc gain equal to -10 V/V (use R1 = 200 Ω and R2 = 2 kΩ). Knowing the gain-bandwidth product of the μA741 op amp, find the proper value of a capacitance C of the integrator so that its 3dB frequency is 50 kHz.

Homework Equations

bg7QK.png
(1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found out that the gain-bandwidth product of the amp is 1 MHz
And this is my guess how the amplifier looks like.
zBK1s.png

I think I could use formula (1) but i would think I had to replace R2 with this formula :
dcgd6.png
(2)

because the Op amp has a capacitor.

Am I on the right track for this?

Physics news on Phys.org

The canonical approach to this is to model the op amp as a gain block ω0/s

where ω0 is your 1 MHz*2π. (So that the gain at 1 MHz = 1).

Then write the amplitude response of the combined network using your R2 and C chosen such that the new 3dB-down frequency is 50 KHz.

I might as well warn you that the result is a second-order transfer function, not just a nice
K/(Ts+1) first-order one. Of course, it's still a lowpass filter with a definite 50-KHz 3db-down cutoff frequency. 2nd-orders are just bitchier than 1st to plot & calculate, but it's straight-forward.

Your text/instructor might have given you a short-cut approximation to this problem, yielding another 1st-order transfer function. I don't know.

You could try approximating the 2nd order xfr fn by a 1st order one by factoring the 2nd-order polynomial, starting tentatively with C assuming an infinite-gain op amp, then throwing out the less significant pole.

Last edited:
It is also known as a low pass filter because at 'low' frquencies Xc is large and the DC(and AC) gain is given by -R2/R1.
At 'high' frequencies Xc is small and 'shorts' R2. The gain falls with increasing frequency.
An important point (from a practical point of view) is when Xc = R2. Can you see when this occurs the DC gain will have halved?

technician said:
It is also known as a low pass filter because at 'low' frquencies Xc is large and the DC(and AC) gain is given by -R2/R1.
At 'high' frequencies Xc is small and 'shorts' R2. The gain falls with increasing frequency.
An important point (from a practical point of view) is when Xc = R2. Can you see when this occurs the DC gain will have halved?

1. The OP is asked to include the effects of the gain-bandwidth product of the 741.
2. Gain when XC = R2 is reduced to 1/√2 of the DC gain, not 1/2.

Correction noted 1/√2 not 1/2

What is an op amp integrator and how does it work?

An op amp integrator is a circuit that performs the mathematical operation of integration, which is the accumulation of a signal over time. It uses an operational amplifier (op amp) and a feedback capacitor to integrate the input signal. The output of an op amp integrator is directly proportional to the integral of the input signal.

What are the key components of an op amp integrator?

The key components of an op amp integrator are an operational amplifier, a feedback capacitor, and an input resistor. The op amp serves as the amplifier, the feedback capacitor integrates the input signal, and the input resistor controls the gain of the circuit.

What is the ideal input and output relationship for an op amp integrator?

The ideal input and output relationship for an op amp integrator is that the output voltage is equal to the negative integral of the input voltage. In other words, the output is the negative of the area under the input curve.

What are the advantages of using an op amp integrator?

An op amp integrator has a simple design, low cost, and high accuracy. It also has a wide range of applications, such as in signal processing, filtering, and control systems.

What are some common challenges when designing an op amp integrator?

Some common challenges when designing an op amp integrator include choosing appropriate component values to achieve the desired output, ensuring stability of the circuit, and minimizing noise and distortion. It is also important to consider the bandwidth and slew rate limitations of the op amp being used.