1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Designing an XOR gate

1. Jan 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Design a 2-input XOR with the following specifications:

RL = 1KΩ
    VDD = 1.8V
    VOL = 0.1V
    VOH = 1.7V

2. Relevant equations

Triode:
    Id = μnCox W/L VDS (VGS - Vt - VDS/2)

Cutoff:
    Id = 0.

3. The attempt at a solution

Searching on my book I found the image attached which is an implementation of an XOR gate with transistors. However, how can I use the voltages given to "design" the transistor? I just don't get it very well.

Attached Files:

• XOR.jpg
      XOR.jpg
      File size:
      40.5 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2013 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Is the question asking you for an implementation with generic transistors (as in your attached picture), or something involving the design of the transistors themselves (as you imply with your equations)? You can see that you don't need rail-to-rail output (Voh and Vol) and that you need to be able to source enough current to drive a 1k load (i.e. 1.8V / 1k)

4. Jan 31, 2013 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

FETs have ON resistance that will affect the output voltage delivered to the load. Think of it as a potential divider problem where the output voltage swing must be at least enough to meet the definition of a logic 1 or 0 for the next gate to use as an input.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook