Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Designing axial compressors

1. Mar 19, 2010 #1
    Hey guys and gals! first time poster so be gentle....I'm wanting to make a small jet turbine from scratch but im totally baffled by how to design the compressor and turbine stages for compressing the air and extracting power from the exhaust gas to drive the compressor.

i would ideally like a two stage compressor with a compression ratio of about 2, although the higher the better (but no more than two stages) and an blade diameter of 20 cm.
    Im having difficulty with the blade angles. As iv never done aerodynamics before i need a dummies guide on how to derive the angles of the blades from compression ratio and blade diameter (if thats possible).

also can someone explain what the "turning angle" of the blade is?

any information on this is much appreciated!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2010 #2
    Start of with the right material for the blades. Use something similar to inconel. Google cutaway diagrams for a simple looking design. I always wonder how to start them myself. Sort of an odd machine to begin with.

4. Mar 25, 2010 #3
  5. Mar 25, 2010 #4
    41k Euros, steep!

6. Mar 25, 2010 #5
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook