How do I design a two-stage compressor for a homemade jet turbine?

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a small jet turbine from scratch, with a desired two-stage compressor. The speaker is seeking guidance on how to design the compressor and turbine stages, as well as determine the blade angles and turning angle. They also mention the importance of using the right materials and provide links to resources for further information on gas turbine engines.
deepus
Hey guys and gals! first time poster so be gentle...I'm wanting to make a small jet turbine from scratch but I am totally baffled by how to design the compressor and turbine stages for compressing the air and extracting power from the exhaust gas to drive the compressor.

i would ideally like a two stage compressor with a compression ratio of about 2, although the higher the better (but no more than two stages) and an blade diameter of 20 cm.
Im having difficulty with the blade angles. As iv never done aerodynamics before i need a dummies guide on how to derive the angles of the blades from compression ratio and blade diameter (if that's possible).

also can someone explain what the "turning angle" of the blade is?

any information on this is much appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Start of with the right material for the blades. Use something similar to inconel. Google cutaway diagrams for a simple looking design. I always wonder how to start them myself. Sort of an odd machine to begin with.

Check out this link: http://minijets.org/typo3/index.php?id=58

41k Euros, steep!

1. What is the purpose of designing axial compressors?

The purpose of designing axial compressors is to increase the pressure and velocity of a fluid, typically air, in order to generate power or thrust. This is commonly used in aircraft engines, gas turbines, and other industrial applications.

2. How do you determine the performance of an axial compressor?

The performance of an axial compressor is determined by its pressure ratio, efficiency, and mass flow rate. These parameters can be calculated using thermodynamic and aerodynamic principles, and are affected by design factors such as blade geometry, number of stages, and tip clearance.

3. What are the main design considerations for axial compressors?

The main design considerations for axial compressors include aerodynamic performance, structural integrity, and manufacturability. The compressor blades must be designed to efficiently and safely handle the high speeds and pressures involved, while also being feasible to manufacture and assemble.

4. How do you optimize the design of an axial compressor?

The design of an axial compressor can be optimized using computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations, which allow for testing and refinement of different blade geometries and flow patterns. Other factors such as material selection and cooling strategies can also be optimized to improve performance.

5. What are the common challenges in designing axial compressors?

Some common challenges in designing axial compressors include managing aerodynamic losses, reducing noise and vibration, and ensuring blade stability and reliability. These challenges often require a balance of trade-offs and careful consideration of various design factors to achieve the desired performance and efficiency.