Design iPhone Apps: UROP Project | C++ to Objective C

In summary, the speaker has applied to multiple Undergrad Research Opportunity Program projects and has been accepted to four, one of which involves designing iPhone apps. However, they have limited knowledge in Objective C and are wondering if it is possible to learn and be productive in the project within a short amount of time. They are seeking advice and clarification from others in the conversation.
fluffy123
Hi all,

I've applied to several UROP (Undergrad Research Opportunity Program) projects and I've gotten accepted to four, and one of them involves designing iPhone apps.

The problem is... I've never programmed in Objective C, but I do know a fair amount of C++ (very basic OOP skills). Is it possible to learn Objective C and be productive in this project within a short time, or should I just pick a different project?

Physics news on Phys.org
i need an answer as soon as possible! please someone respond. :(

Sure, it's possible. If all you know is a little C++, then maybe it would be more difficult, but in general someone who knows C++ well can pick up most other languages easily. Sounds like a funny research project though.

Thanks for the reply - but why is it "funny"?

Are you in physics? I just can't picture a research project that would involve designing iphone apps

JawiB - do you mind if I send you a PM of the description of the project, and you can give me your opinion about it?

If you want. It might be more beneficial if you posted it in the open so that I'm not the only possible opinion you'll get ;)

1. What is the purpose of the UROP project?

The purpose of the UROP project is to design and develop iPhone apps using C++ to Objective C language conversion. This project aims to provide an opportunity for students to gain hands-on experience in software development and to contribute to the growing field of mobile app development.

2. What is C++ to Objective C conversion?

C++ to Objective C conversion is the process of translating code written in C++ programming language into code written in Objective C programming language. This is necessary for developing iPhone apps, as Objective C is the primary programming language used for iOS development.

3. What are the benefits of using C++ to Objective C conversion for iPhone app development?

Using C++ to Objective C conversion allows developers to leverage their existing knowledge of C++ and apply it to iPhone app development. This can save time and effort in learning a new language and can also make the code more efficient and easier to maintain.

4. What is the role of a scientist in this project?

The role of a scientist in this project is to provide guidance and expertise in the areas of software development and mobile app design. Scientists will work closely with students to help them understand the principles and best practices of coding, and to ensure the success of the project.

5. How can this project contribute to the field of mobile app development?

This project can contribute to the field of mobile app development by providing new and innovative iPhone apps that are designed and developed by students. It also allows students to gain practical experience in the field, which can lead to future advancements and contributions in the mobile app industry.