Design an H-Bridge Torque Controller for 6-8 PMDC Motors

• Thread starter dave226
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Designing
In summary, The speaker is designing a small electric vehicle and is seeking guidance on designing a H-bridge torque controller for 6-8 permanent magnet brush DC motors with an overall power requirement of 70-250 W. They are looking for the cheapest controlling design and want to run the motors in parallel with a constant speed and controlled torque. They also ask for suggestions on the type of PMDC motors (with specs) that would best fit this operation, as well as the best and cheapest torque controlling method for the motors using an H-bridge. They mention the availability and price factor as important considerations. They are planning to operate the motors with a 12V supply.
dave226
Hi, I am designing a small EV and I am looking forward to some guidlines regarding designing of H-bridge torque controller for controlling somewhat in between 6-8 permanent magnet brush DC motors , the overall power required from these motors is between 70 to 250 W, where 70 W is for normal purpose and 250 W for peak requirements.

Could you please suggest me the cheapest controlling design for such operation like
a) which type(with particular specs) of the bunch of small pmdc motors best fit for such operation (here the torque requirement is around 20 N-m) and i want to run all motors (say parallel combination) with a constant speed and controlled torque(preferable).
b) How to design and what is the best and the cheapest torque controlling method of these motors using H-bridge (like providing a common reference or say separate torque control of each motor and providing those with a common reference), the type of Mosfets and the heat sinks. Keeping in mind the availability in the market and the price factor too.

If you have any questions regarding this please ask me. All suggestions and ideas are welcome. Any help would be of great help!

Thanks!
Dave

Engineering news on Phys.org
PS: I am planning to operate these bunch of pmdc brush motors with a 12V supply

Hello Dave,

Thank you for reaching out for guidance on designing an H-bridge torque controller for your small EV. I am happy to provide some suggestions and ideas for your project.

Firstly, for your specific application, I would recommend using a parallel combination of six to eight small PMDC motors. This will provide enough power for your peak requirements while still being efficient for normal use. In terms of the type and specifications of the motors, I would suggest looking for motors with a torque range of 20 N-m and a power rating of 70-250 W. You may also want to consider the size and weight of the motors to ensure they are suitable for your EV.

Now, for designing the H-bridge torque controller, there are a few factors to consider. The cheapest option would be to use a single H-bridge to control all of the motors together. This would require a common reference for all motors and would limit your ability to control the torque of each motor separately. However, if you have the budget, I would recommend using separate H-bridges for each motor, as this will give you more control over the torque of each motor.

In terms of the type of MOSFETs to use, I would suggest using high-power MOSFETs with a low on-resistance and a high current rating. This will ensure efficient and reliable operation of your H-bridge controller. As for heat sinks, you will need to choose ones that can dissipate the heat generated by the MOSFETs effectively. The size and type of heat sink will depend on the power rating of your motors and the current rating of your MOSFETs.

When it comes to availability and price, I would recommend doing some research and comparing different options available in the market. It is always a good idea to get quotes from multiple suppliers to ensure you are getting the best deal.

I hope this information helps you in designing your H-bridge torque controller. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your project!

Best regards,

1. What is an H-Bridge torque controller and how does it work?

An H-Bridge torque controller is a type of electronic circuit that allows for control of the torque output of a DC motor. It works by using four switches to control the direction and magnitude of current flow through the motor, thereby adjusting its speed and torque output.

2. What are the benefits of using an H-Bridge torque controller for PMDC motors?

The use of an H-Bridge torque controller for PMDC motors allows for precise control over the motor's speed and torque output. It also allows for bidirectional control, meaning the motor can rotate in both directions. Additionally, H-Bridge controllers are relatively simple and inexpensive to implement.

3. Can an H-Bridge torque controller be used for multiple PMDC motors?

Yes, an H-Bridge torque controller can be used for multiple PMDC motors by connecting each motor to its own H-Bridge circuit. This allows for individual control of each motor's speed and torque output.

4. What factors should be considered when designing an H-Bridge torque controller for 6-8 PMDC motors?

When designing an H-Bridge torque controller for multiple PMDC motors, some important factors to consider include the power requirements of each motor, the switching frequency of the controller, and the type of switches and control signals being used.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using an H-Bridge torque controller for PMDC motors?

Yes, there are some safety considerations to keep in mind when using an H-Bridge torque controller for PMDC motors. It is important to ensure that the controller is properly insulated and that all connections are secure to prevent any potential electrical hazards. Additionally, proper precautions should be taken when handling high voltage components.