How Do I Design an Aluminum Rod to Meet Specific Engineering Requirements?

In summary, Phil is a first semester engineering student struggling with his material science class assignment. The assignment requires designing an aluminum rod that can withstand a force of 200kN, with a maximum allowable stress of 170Mpa and a maximum elastic deformation of 6mm when the force is applied. Phil is considering an "I" shape for the rod, but is unsure about the dimensions needed. He is also unsure about converting load-gauge length to engineering stress and strain. The force is assumed to be applied orthogonally to the rod, but the boundary conditions on the ends are not specified. Phil is advised to start with a circular cross section and work his way up to more complicated shapes.
Philip Wong
Hi guys,
I'm studying my first semester in engineering, I was giving the first assignment in my material science class which I'm not so sure on how to get started on.

The assignment was to ask us to design a aluminum rod which has the following specification:
1) Withstand an applied force of 200kN
2) Maximum allowable stress on the rod is limited to 170Mpa with a strain of 0.0025mm.mm^-1
3) Rod must be at least 3.8m long but deform elastically no more than 6mm when force is applied

I was thinking of a "I" shape rod, but am not sure were I on the right track or what should I include (e.g. width, depth, and shape) to sufficiently uphold the conditions.

Secondly can someone please tell me how do I convert load-gauge length to engineering stress and strain?

Thanks,
Phil

Engineering news on Phys.org
How is the force to be applied, along the length of the rod, or at 90 degrees?

the question is just say "An aluminium rod is to withstand an applied force of 200 kN".
I guess its at orthogonal

Philip Wong said:
the question is just say "An aluminium rod is to withstand an applied force of 200 kN".
I guess its at orthogonal
If the load is applied perpendicular to the rod (orthogonal), then you need to know the boundary conditions on the ends, and solve the problem as a beam bending problem. It sounds like, in this problem statement, a tensile load is applied on the ends. Try out some different shapes and see what you get. Start with a circular cross section for simplicity. Why? If you can't solve that, you are not going to be able to do more complicated cross sections.

Hello Phil,

As a scientist and materials engineer, I can offer some guidance on how to approach designing an aluminum rod that meets the given specifications.

Firstly, it is important to understand the properties of aluminum and how it behaves under different loads. Aluminum is a lightweight and strong material, but it has a lower tensile strength compared to other metals like steel. This means that it can withstand less force before it starts to deform.

To begin, you can start by calculating the maximum load that the rod needs to withstand. In this case, it is 200kN. Next, you can use the formula for engineering stress (σ = F/A) to determine the cross-sectional area of the rod that is needed to withstand this force without exceeding the maximum allowable stress of 170Mpa. Keep in mind that the cross-sectional area will depend on the shape of the rod, so you will need to consider this as well.

In terms of the shape of the rod, you are on the right track with considering an "I" shape. This shape provides a good balance between strength and stiffness. However, you will also need to consider the width and depth of the rod. A wider and deeper rod will have a higher cross-sectional area and therefore, a higher capacity to withstand force. But keep in mind that the rod also needs to be at least 3.8m long and deform no more than 6mm, so you will need to find a balance between these factors.

To convert load-gauge length to engineering stress and strain, you will need to use the formula for strain (ε = ΔL/L) and the formula for engineering stress (σ = F/A). Here, ΔL is the change in length of the rod, L is the original length, F is the applied force, and A is the cross-sectional area. By plugging in the values, you can calculate the engineering stress and strain.

I hope this helps you get started on your assignment. Remember to consider the properties of aluminum and how they relate to the given specifications. Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of designing an aluminum rod?

The purpose of designing an aluminum rod is to create a strong and lightweight structure that can be used in various applications such as construction, transportation, and manufacturing.

2. What are the important factors to consider when designing an aluminum rod?

The important factors to consider when designing an aluminum rod include the desired strength and stiffness, the specific application and environment it will be used in, and the cost and availability of materials.

3. How is the shape and size of an aluminum rod determined during the design process?

The shape and size of an aluminum rod are determined by considering the required strength and stiffness, the forces it will be subjected to, and the manufacturing constraints. Computer-aided design (CAD) software and simulations are often used to optimize the design.

4. What are the common methods used to manufacture an aluminum rod?

The common methods used to manufacture an aluminum rod include extrusion, rolling, and forging. Each method has its own advantages and is chosen based on the desired shape and properties of the rod.

5. How is the strength and durability of an aluminum rod tested during the design process?

The strength and durability of an aluminum rod can be tested using destructive and non-destructive methods. These may include tensile testing, fatigue testing, and ultrasonic inspection. The results of these tests are used to validate and improve the design.