Desmos Question

CallMeDirac
Often in desmos when you graph a line it shows the X and Y-intercept with a grey dot.
However when I graph something like sin(50)=5/x it doesn't show
which I find odd because sin(x) does show the intercepts

It only gets more complicated when graphing tangent and cosine. Both DO show the X-intercept. Further Cotangent and Secosine also do show the intercept.

why

Answers and Replies

lomidrevo
I don't know desmos, but what do you expect when plotting "something like sin(50)=5/x "?
Hint1: sin(x) is a function, your other expression is an equation
Hint2: sin(50) is a constant, 5 is a constant, so what is the solution of your equation?

• Skeptical
Likes CallMeDirac and berkeman
CallMeDirac
I was wrong

Turns out its not the function (sine tan etc.)
it's where the x is

if the x is the numerator ( sin(60)=x/30) it will show the dot
but if it is the denominator (sin(60)=30/x) it wont

still why

CallMeDirac
I don't know desmos, but what do you expect when plotting "something like sin(50)=5/x "?
Hint1: sin(x) is a function, your other expression is an equation
Hint2: sin(50) is a constant, 5 is a constant, so what is the solution of your equation?

I was just talking about intercepts
it only shows the x-intercept when the x is in the numerator (see previous post)

edit: desmos will show the x-intercept for equations (65+x=180 will show an intercept at 115)

lomidrevo
It shows, you just need to zoom out the graph. If you solved your equations, you would see that solution for ##x## are located out of the range of the default zoom (in my browser it is from -10 to 10).

As I told you in my previous post, plotting a function (like ##y=f(x)##) and solving a linear equation with one unknown are not the same operation. It is a feature of this tool, that it gives you the solution graphically. That is a vertical line for constant ##x##. However, I am not sure what is skeptical about my post according to you. Both provided hints would lead you to discover answer to your question.

CallMeDirac
It shows, you just need to zoom out the graph. If you solved your equations, you would see that solution for ##x## are located out of the range of the default zoom (in my browser it is from -10 to 10).

That's irrelevant

CallMeDirac
As I told you in my previous post, plotting a function (like ##y=f(x)##) and solving a linear equation with one unknown are not the same operation. It is a feature of this tool, that it gives you the solution graphically. That is a vertical line for constant ##x##.

that would make sense if the x intercept was also not present in the equation with the numerator.

However, I am not sure what is skeptical about my post according to you. Both provided hints would lead you to discover answer to your question.

You didn't, that's why I used a skeptical reaction. I explained in a previous post that it plots similar equations, furthermore the question was about a grey point showing the x-intercept not the lack of a representative line.

Suggested for: Desmos Question

• Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies