Calculating Particle Distance from Density and Number

• Thread starter TFM
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the distance between particles using density and number density. The solution involves finding the radius of a sphere occupied by each particle and then subtracting the radius of a hydrogen atom. The final answer is twice the radius of the sphere.
TFM
[SOLVED] Desnity and Distibution

Homework Statement

I need to calculate the distance between particles. I know the density, and I know how many particles there are, but I am not sure how to calculate the distance between them.

Homework Equations

Not Sure

The Attempt at a Solution

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

TFM

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi TFM,

Could you please post the full question verbatim, as it is in your textbook/homework sheet.

Assume that the sun is made of pure Hydrogen, and take the Hydrogen mass ass being 1.67x10^-27 kg. If the mean mass density of the sun is 1400 kg/m^3, what is the mean number density.

I have calculated this to be 8.4 x 10^29 atoms per cubic meter

hence estimate the typical inter-particle distance

TFM

So you know that in one meter there is 8.4 x 10^29 hydrogen atoms. So what volume does each atom occupy? Next, assume that each hydrogen atom is a particle at the centre of a sphere.

Last edited:
Each Hydrogen Atom will occupy a volume of [tex]\frac{1}{8.4X10^{29}}[/tex] which is [tex]1.19 x 10^{-30}[/tex] metres cubed

TFM

TFM said:
Each Hydrogen Atom will occupy a volume of [tex]\frac{1}{8.4X10^{29}}[/tex] which is [tex]1.19 x 10^{-30}[/tex] metres cubed

TFM
Correct, so what is the radius of the sphere with such a volume?

Volume of a sphere: [tex]Vol = \frac{4}{3}\pi r^{3}[/tex]

So [tex] 1.19x10^{-30} = \frac{4}{3} \pi r^{3} [/tex]

so the radius is [tex]r = \sqrt[3]{\frac{3*Vol}{4* \pi }}[/tex]

Giving the radius: [tex]\sqrt[3]{2.84*10^{-31}}[/tex] = 6.57*10^-11 metres Cubed

TFM

TFM said:
Volume of a sphere: [tex]Vol = \frac{4}{3}\pi r^{3}[/tex]

So [tex] 1.19x10^{-30} = \frac{4}{3} \pi r^{3} [/tex]

so the radius is [tex]r = \sqrt[3]{\frac{3*Vol}{4* \pi }}[/tex]

Giving the radius: [tex]\sqrt[3]{2.84*10^{-31}}[/tex] = 6.57*10^-11 metres Cubed

TFM
Spot on, but watch your units :wink:

Do I now just have to take away the radius of a Hydrogen Atom?

TFM

TFM said:
Do I now just have to take away the radius of a Hydrogen Atom?

TFM
Personally, I would have left the answer as it is since once you get down to such small distances the concept of classical radii doesn't really apply. However, you could put both answers to be safe, it depends very much on what your tutor wants.

Last edited:
Well, the question then asks you to compareit to the radius of a Hydrogen Atom and a Hydrogen Nuclei.

TFM

TFM said:
Well, the question then asks you to compareit to the radius of a Hydrogen Atom and a Hydrogen Nuclei.

TFM
Then I definitely would subtract the hydrogen radius from your answer.

Thanks foy all your assistance, Hootenanny :smile:

TFM

TFM said:
Thanks foy all your assistance, Hootenanny :smile:

TFM
It was a pleasure TFM :smile:

Is the typical distance between 2 atoms not twice the radius of this sphere? First from one atom to where the spheres meet, then to the other atom.

kamerling said:
Is the typical distance between 2 atoms not twice the radius of this sphere? First from one atom to where the spheres meet, then to the other atom.
Indeed it is, I assumed that TFM would have realized that.

1. What is the difference between density and distribution?

Density refers to the amount of a substance or object per unit of volume, while distribution refers to how that substance or object is spread out or dispersed within a given area or space.

2. How is density and distribution related in ecology?

In ecology, density and distribution are closely related as they both play a significant role in determining the abundance and interactions of species within an ecosystem. High density and clustered distribution can lead to competition and resource limitation, while low density and even distribution can lead to reduced competition and increased access to resources.

3. How is density and distribution measured?

Density can be measured by calculating the number of individuals or amount of a substance per unit of volume, such as per square meter or per cubic centimeter. Distribution can be measured by mapping the location of individuals or substances within an area, and analyzing patterns of dispersion.

4. What are some factors that can affect density and distribution?

There are various factors that can affect density and distribution, including resource availability, competition, predation, environmental conditions, and human activities. For example, resource availability can influence the density of a population as it directly affects their ability to survive and reproduce. Human activities, such as deforestation or pollution, can also alter the distribution of species within an ecosystem.

5. How can understanding density and distribution help in conservation efforts?

Understanding the density and distribution of species is crucial in conservation efforts as it can inform management strategies and help identify areas of high biodiversity or areas in need of conservation action. By monitoring changes in density and distribution over time, conservationists can also assess the effectiveness of their efforts and make necessary adjustments to ensure the long-term survival of species and their habitats.