Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Desolation of Smaug

1. Oct 12, 2013 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Are the trailers any good?
    :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You could probably find them yourself if you spelled it Smaug.

4. Oct 12, 2013 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What if they s*ck?
    I dare not check for myself unless some kind soul can reassure me they are good..

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  5. Oct 12, 2013 #4
    I've just seen them after reading this, and I don't think they look bad in comparison to Hobbit 1 (which I enjoyed, even though it was quite a lot of action in the movie).

Here they are, my precious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnaojlfdUbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPVWy1tFXuc

6. Oct 12, 2013 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And also if he had spelled it desolation rather than dissolution. I opened this thread expecting to see a question regarding the best way to get rid of air pollution.

7. Oct 12, 2013 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I thought the title should have been the dissipation of smog, but then upon opening the thread saw that it was about the Desolation of Smaug.

8. Oct 12, 2013 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

:tongue:

9. Oct 12, 2013 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

So sorry to have misled you. (Or should that be mis-led? OR perhaps both??? :confused:)

10. Oct 12, 2013 #9
    Well, they don't help the issue any. Certainly getting rid of trailers, and I assume you mean tractor trailers, would help with the dissolution of smog. But I think that factories and such are a much bigger contributor.

:devil:

11. Oct 12, 2013 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

That's what I thought. Trailers pollute not only the air, but also entertainment..

12. Oct 12, 2013 #11
    "In a world..."

13. Oct 12, 2013 #12
    "Tauriel" looks like one bad *** chick.

14. Oct 13, 2013 #13

Borek

Good job arildno, they bought the idea of accidental misspelling and corrected you. I will thank you before they will ban you.

15. Oct 13, 2013 #14

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

:biggrin:

16. Oct 15, 2013 #15

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Wrong expression.
    For elves, it is "she is a damn wavy leaf!"

17. Oct 15, 2013 #16
    [RANT]I don't like her...she's a phony. And she reminds me of a bull. Why can't film makers stick to the stories? They ruined all Dan Brown novels and Harry Potter too...but probably the worst was 300 - largest load of misinformative bull, oh no, just remembered the Clash of the Titans- don't think anything could beat that pile of Minotaur faeces...
    [/RANT]
    Rant over. Now, that feels better...

18. Oct 15, 2013 #17

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

"she's a phony"
    Again, wrong expression.
    With elves, it is "she's a synthetic rose"

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  19. Oct 16, 2013 #18

Drakkith

Lol, what? Other than Clash of the Titans I thought all those movies were excellent adaptations.

20. Oct 16, 2013 #19
    Ah, yes another chance to rant :biggrin:
    Dan Brown-
    Angels and Demons- Got rid of the head of CERN and one of the greatest twists of the story and in doing so lost many of the incidents that lent charm to the book.
    Da Vinci Code- Sophie is completely pushed aside and Langdon gets too much attention- just feels wrong.

Harry Potter- This one's a bit whimsical...I was 11, I read the book(Philosopher's stone) and Loved it. Then came the movie and I decided to have a race- who wins- the movie or me reading the book...half of the scenes were missing...I got left behind...:cry:...though I did catch up during the adverts...
    (Harry Potter is probably the mos unjust entry in my hate list.)

300- That had me laughing...the war strategies were complete fiascos...spartans don't go naked to fight...They went as hoplites not male strippers...their armours were probably the greatest advantage over persian archers.
    the other thing that stung was the taunt Athenians were boy-lovers...spartans had gays too...(And I like Athenians better...)
    And the name 300...300 spartans yes, only them? nada. they fought along with 700 thespians and 400 thebeans.
    And movie completely ignores what happened after...how Xerxes faced an utter and complete defeat by the allied greek navy and army.
    DISCLAIMER: I have a really whimsical taste and expect the movies to recreate the magic of the books...which most can't...probably due to time constraints...but I hate what I hate...logic don't enter into it.
    (Writing this post just reminded me the horrors of Bourne series)
    The only adoptions I don't have a grudge against are those which have been changed to such an extent that the books are just an inspiration...like James Bond...Quantum of Solace was about matrimonial difficulties but the movie was just some thing else.

21. Oct 16, 2013 #20

Drakkith

You realize 300 is based off a graphic novel and not a history book, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook