Is the Desolation of Smaug a good movie?

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary, there is a discussion about whether the trailers for the movie "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" are good or not, with some users expressing their disappointment with movie adaptations in general. One user shares links to the trailers and another user talks about their dislike for a character named Tauriel. The conversation then shifts to a discussion about movie adaptations of books such as Dan Brown's novels and the Harry Potter series, with some users expressing their disappointment with the changes made in the movies. The topic then moves to the movie "300" and its historical inaccuracies, with some users expressing their preference for faithful adaptations of books in movies.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Are the trailers any good?
:smile:

Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
arildno said:

You could probably find them yourself if you spelled it Smaug.

What if they s*ck?
I dare not check for myself unless some kind soul can reassure me they are good..

Last edited:
arildno said:
What if they s*ck?
I dare not check for myself unless some kind soul can reassure me they are good..

I've just seen them after reading this, and I don't think they look bad in comparison to Hobbit 1 (which I enjoyed, even though it was quite a lot of action in the movie).

Here they are, my precious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnaojlfdUbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPVWy1tFXuc

phinds said:
You could probably find them yourself if you spelled it Smaug.
And also if he had spelled it desolation rather than dissolution. I opened this thread expecting to see a question regarding the best way to get rid of air pollution.

D H said:
And also if he had spelled it desolation rather than dissolution. I opened this thread expecting to see a question regarding the best way to get rid of air pollution.
I thought the title should have been the dissipation of smog, but then upon opening the thread saw that it was about the Desolation of Smaug.

D H said:

:tongue:

D H said:

So sorry to have misled you. (Or should that be mis-led? OR perhaps both? :confused:)

arildno said:

Well, they don't help the issue any. Certainly getting rid of trailers, and I assume you mean tractor trailers, would help with the dissolution of smog. But I think that factories and such are a much bigger contributor.

:devil:

dkotschessaa said:
Well, they don't help the issue any. Certainly getting rid of trailers, and I assume you mean tractor trailers, would help with the dissolution of smog. But I think that factories and such are a much bigger contributor.

:devil:
That's what I thought. Trailers pollute not only the air, but also entertainment..

arildno said:
That's what I thought. Trailers pollute not only the air, but also entertainment..

"In a world..."

"Tauriel" looks like one bad *** chick.

Good job arildno, they bought the idea of accidental misspelling and corrected you. I will thank you before they will ban you.

Borek said:
Good job arildno, they bought the idea of accidental misspelling and corrected you. I will thank you before they will ban you.
:biggrin:

1MileCrash said:
"Tauriel" looks like one bad *** chick.
Wrong expression.
For elves, it is "she is a damn wavy leaf!"

arildno said:
For elves, it is "she is a damn wavy leaf!"

[RANT]I don't like her...she's a phony. And she reminds me of a bull. Why can't film makers stick to the stories? They ruined all Dan Brown novels and Harry Potter too...but probably the worst was 300 - largest load of misinformative bull, oh no, just remembered the Clash of the Titans- don't think anything could beat that pile of Minotaur faeces...
[/RANT]
Rant over. Now, that feels better...

"she's a phony"
Again, wrong expression.
With elves, it is "she's a synthetic rose"

Last edited:
Enigman said:
[RANT]I don't like her...she's a phony. And she reminds me of a bull. Why can't film makers stick to the stories? They ruined all Dan Brown novels and Harry Potter too...but probably the worst was 300 - largest load of misinformative bull, oh no, just remembered the Clash of the Titans- don't think anything could beat that pile of Minotaur faeces...
[/RANT]
Rant over. Now, that feels better...

Lol, what? Other than Clash of the Titans I thought all those movies were excellent adaptations.

Ah, yes another chance to rant :biggrin:
Dan Brown-
Angels and Demons- Got rid of the head of CERN and one of the greatest twists of the story and in doing so lost many of the incidents that lent charm to the book.
Da Vinci Code- Sophie is completely pushed aside and Langdon gets too much attention- just feels wrong.

Harry Potter- This one's a bit whimsical...I was 11, I read the book(Philosopher's stone) and Loved it. Then came the movie and I decided to have a race- who wins- the movie or me reading the book...half of the scenes were missing...I got left behind...:cry:...though I did catch up during the adverts...
(Harry Potter is probably the mos unjust entry in my hate list.)

300- That had me laughing...the war strategies were complete fiascos...spartans don't go naked to fight...They went as hoplites not male strippers...their armours were probably the greatest advantage over persian archers.
the other thing that stung was the taunt Athenians were boy-lovers...spartans had gays too...(And I like Athenians better...)
And the name 300...300 spartans yes, only them? nada. they fought along with 700 thespians and 400 thebeans.
And movie completely ignores what happened after...how Xerxes faced an utter and complete defeat by the allied greek navy and army.
DISCLAIMER: I have a really whimsical taste and expect the movies to recreate the magic of the books...which most can't...probably due to time constraints...but I hate what I hate...logic don't enter into it.
(Writing this post just reminded me the horrors of Bourne series)
The only adoptions I don't have a grudge against are those which have been changed to such an extent that the books are just an inspiration...like James Bond...Quantum of Solace was about matrimonial difficulties but the movie was just some thing else.

You realize 300 is based off a graphic novel and not a history book, right?

Likes 1 person
Drakkith said:
You realize 300 is based off a graphic novel and not a history book, right?

:bugeye: mmm... :nope...:redface:

no reason not to get the history right though...
(I thought it was a shoddy adaptation of Persians- a play by Aeshchylus...I really am out of touch with modern literature...)

Enigman said:
:bugeye: mmm... :nope...:redface:

no reason not to get the history right though...

The graphic novel is exactly that. A graphic novel (Comic Book). It plays up the "badassery" of the spartans HEAVILY. That's what makes it good. Adding the things required to make it accurate would serve only to detract from the work.

You can see a few pages of it here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1569714029/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just seen Hobbit 2, and I enjoyed it very, very much.
I think it was better than the first one.
I actually enjoyed it as much as the first Lord of the Rings movie
(which I think was the best one of the trilogy).

Ok, the elves are weapons of mass destruction, and the movie
is a little bit long, but I took pauses. It is an extended story
compared to the novel, but it doesn't matter to me - it was very well done.
And Smaug was a real treat.

It's a must see, IMO, if you're a Tolkien fan.

And here's a classic clip from the Fellowship, I couldn't resist posting it:
catapult1.gif

EDIT: This is a classic too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaqC5FnvAEc

Last edited:
Fellowship was the best LOTR because there were no women, it was just nine bros going on an adventure.

1MileCrash said:
Fellowship was the best LOTR because there were no women, it was just nine bros going on an adventure.
? Arwen & Galadriel don't count?

I kinda liked Miranda Otto in the ROTK, even though she's far too flimsy to be a believable shield maiden. :biggrin:

1MileCrash said:
Just eight, plus the Blooming faerie.

1. Is the Desolation of Smaug scientifically accurate?

No, the Desolation of Smaug is a fantasy movie and is not meant to be scientifically accurate. It includes mythical creatures and magical elements that are not based on real science.

2. Are the special effects in the Desolation of Smaug realistic?

The special effects in the Desolation of Smaug are well-crafted and visually stunning, but they are not meant to be completely realistic. They are used to enhance the fantasy world and bring it to life for the audience.

3. Is the Desolation of Smaug suitable for all ages?

The Desolation of Smaug is rated PG-13 and may not be suitable for young children due to intense battle scenes, violence, and frightening imagery. Parents should use their own discretion when deciding if the movie is appropriate for their children.

4. Does the Desolation of Smaug accurately portray the characters from the book?

The Desolation of Smaug is based on the book "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien, but there are some differences in character development and plot. While some purists may not be satisfied with these changes, the movie still stays true to the overall story and themes of the book.

5. Is the Desolation of Smaug a good representation of the fantasy genre?

Yes, the Desolation of Smaug is a highly acclaimed movie within the fantasy genre. It has all the elements of a classic fantasy story, including a heroic quest, magic, and mythical creatures. It is a must-see for fans of the genre.