Solve Atwood's Machine w/Initial Velocity: Change Accel.?

• Thread starter pinky2468
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Desperate
In summary, the conversation revolves around using Atwood's Machine for a lab and whether the acceleration would have been different if an initial velocity was used. The equation a=2d/t(sqr) was used in the lab, but with initial velocity, the equation would be d=Vot+1/2at(sqr). The question is whether this change in equation affects only time and acceleration or also displacement. The person is seeking clarification and help with this topic.
pinky2468
Desperate for a help!

Ok , I have a test tomorrow and I can't seem to answer this question:
In doing a lab using Atwood's Machine would the acceleration have been different if we used an initial velocity? What variable would be changed if we used intial velocity?(displacement, accelaration,time, etc...)

In doing the lab we used the equation a=2d/t(sqr) I know that with inital velocity the equation is d=Vot+1/2at(sqr)

I think it does change the acceleration, but I am not sure.
Please if anyone can help me with this, I have researched and read and I can't seem to find an explanation!

Physics news on Phys.org
If there's initial velocity [different of 0], obviously the acceleration equation used in lab will be incorrect.

Does it change the displacement,time and acceleration or just time and accleration?

1. What is Atwood's Machine?

Atwood's Machine is a simple mechanical device consisting of two masses connected by a string or pulley system. It is commonly used in physics experiments to study concepts such as acceleration, force, and motion.

2. How do you solve Atwood's Machine with initial velocity?

To solve Atwood's Machine with initial velocity, you need to use the equations of motion and Newton's laws of motion. First, draw a free-body diagram for each mass and write down the equations of motion for each mass. Then, use the initial velocity and acceleration values to solve for the final velocity and displacement of the masses.

3. What is the change in acceleration in Atwood's Machine?

The change in acceleration in Atwood's Machine refers to the change in the acceleration of the two masses as they move towards each other due to the force of gravity. This change in acceleration can be calculated using the equations of motion and the masses of the objects involved.

4. How does the initial velocity affect Atwood's Machine?

The initial velocity affects Atwood's Machine by determining the initial conditions of the system. It affects the final velocity of the masses and the amount of time it takes for the system to reach equilibrium. A higher initial velocity will result in a larger change in acceleration and a shorter time for the system to reach equilibrium.

5. What are some real-life applications of Atwood's Machine?

Atwood's Machine has a variety of real-life applications, including elevator systems, cranes, and weightlifting machines. It is also used in physics classrooms for demonstrations and experiments to study concepts related to motion and forces.