1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Desperate for help

1. Sep 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ok, so, I did a experiment in school and I was supposed to find the volume of gravel + water in a graduated cylinder. However I found the mass of the gravel, cylinder instead. I also know the amount of water and gravel I put in the graduated cylinder. Can someone please help me find the volume of the gravel + water instead.

2. Relevant equations

Gravel=25mL
    Water=25mL
    Gravel (mass)=34.5g
    Cylinder (mass)= 40.2g
    Water (mass)= 25.2g

The graduated cylinder I used is 100mL
    3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

I doubt if it is possible. When you say 25 mL of gravel, that includes air space between the stones and there is no way to tell how much actual gravel you have unless you recorded the change in volume in the graduated cylinder as the gravel is added.

Looks like you need to do the experiment again. You should be able to find a graduated cylinder that you can borrow for a few minutes. Or use any cylindrical bottle and measure the circumference.

4. Sep 27, 2009 #3
    Is it at least possible to have a estimate. I mean, I am sure the total volume is less b/c of the air spaces but I cannot do the experiment again.

5. Sep 27, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are a little confused somewhere.
    You say you had 25ml of gravel - which is a volume.

To convert the mass of gravel to volume you need the density - without knowing exactly what kind of rock it was this is a little tricky

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook