1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Desperate Help Needed

1. Mar 9, 2009 #1
    Can someone tell me how to claculate the uncretinty on

(R^2 + z^2) ^3/2

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assuming R and z are independent variables, you do it the same way you calculate the uncertainty in any multi variable function:

[tex]\Delta f(R,z) \approx \left| \frac{\partial f}{\partial R} \right| \Delta R+\left| \frac{\partial f}{\partial z} \right| \Delta z[/tex]

4. Mar 9, 2009 #3
    Isn't that just for (z^2 + R^2)?

5. Mar 9, 2009 #4
    Also if you have a cos/sin function in an equation(multiplying) how would you do it for cos/sin?

is it just for cos x = sinxdx/cosx and cosxdx/sinx for sin x?

6. Mar 9, 2009 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why would it apply to one multi variable function, but not the others?

7. Mar 9, 2009 #6
    So would I just take the uncertainty on z^2 + R^2, then multiply in by 3/2 and squareroot z^2 + R^2?

8. Mar 9, 2009 #7

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you know how to take derivatives? And what happened to the absolute value brackets?....Errors are never negative.

[tex]\left| \frac{\partial}{\partial x} (\cos x) \right|\Delta x= |-\sin(x)|\Delta x=|\sin(x)|\Delta x \neq \frac{\sin x}{\cos x}dx[/tex]

Also, [itex]\Delta x[/itex] is the uncertainty in x, not the differential 'dx'.

9. Mar 9, 2009 #8

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, you would compute the absolute value of the partial derivative of [itex](R^2+z^2)^{3/2}[/itex] with respect to R and multiply it by the uncertainty in R; then do the same with respect to z, and then add them together...

10. Mar 9, 2009 #9
    Ok thats for cos x, but I need (unceratinty in cosx)/cosx. The relative over the value.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook