1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Desperate help needed

1. Jan 3, 2010 #1
    Newtons 2nd Law experiment

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need some data for labexperiment 11 Newtons second law in which you add weights to a hanging weight which pulls a cart through a photogate. Anyway i was wondering if anyone else has done this lab because i need data for the acceleration of the system when the weight has .05 .07 .09 .11 and .13 (kilograms) so i can calculate the force of gravity

2. Relevant equations

F=MA

3. The attempt at a solution

I know i need to calculate the Force of gravity with the mass of the system however in order ot do so i must know the acceleration which i regretfully do not have.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2010 #2
    Re: Desperate help needed!!!!!!!!!!

So what you're asking is has anyone done this lab, so you can copy their data? why didn't you do this is class?

I can't really help you as I never did an actual lab, I instead did it algebraically, acceleration due to gravity (neglecting friction, and on earth at approx seas level, I forgot the radius) is 9.8m/s.

4. Jan 3, 2010 #3

I guess if you want to say it like that yea i need some data, however data is not important in this labit is the work we show in calculating the force of friction as well as graphs and I was not in the classs to get the data i was on a family trip and came back as we got out of school for a week and a half winter break.

5. Jan 3, 2010 #4

ask your teacher over the email for an extension or ask a friend

or if you have no friends (kidding :) ) then email your teacher and ask for numbers.

6. Jan 3, 2010 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree, explain to your teacher that you were away with your family and ask how you can (properly) obtain the data you need to complete the assignment.

Moderator's note: locking thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook