Solving Challenging Physics Problems: Loop-the-Loop and Skier Hills

• Thread starter fizziksplaya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Desperate
In summary: Set the potential energy at the base of the loop to be zero. How much energy does the car have at the top of the loop?In summary, the first scenario involves a car traveling in a circular loop, where the initial speed is given and the largest possible radius for the car to remain in contact with the track is needed. The second scenario involves a skier starting from rest at the top of a hill and coasting down and up a second hill, with the question of determining the height of the first hill for the skier to just lose contact with the crest of the second hill. The first problem involves using the centripetal acceleration and conservation of energy, while the second problem requires understanding the concept of potential energy and gravitational acceleration
fizziksplaya
These two are toughies for a first year rookie like me. I survived kinematics, and I thought I survived circular motion. But the work-energy chapter just threw 2 curveballs in my face. Any help would be more than appreciated:

1) The drawing shows a version of the loop-the-loop trip for a small car (the picture sucks. its basically a real circle, car goes straight ahead then up and around the loop and out the other side) If the car is given an inital speed of 4.0 m/s. What is the largest value that the radius can have if the car is to remain in contact with the circular track at all times?

2) A skier starts from rest at the top of a hill. The skier coasts down the hill and up a second hill, as the drawing illustrates (the skier starts from an unkown height above a horizontal, the slope goes downward under the horizontal, and comes back up on the second "circular" crest). The crest of the second hill is circular, with a radius of 36m. Neglect friction and air resistance. What must be the height of the first hill so that the skier just loses contact with the crest of the second hill?

The first one I've been struggling with for hours. The second one, I'm not sure i understand the question, so if you explained it to me, I could probably figure it out myself

Physics news on Phys.org
1) You have to look at the highest point piont the loop. Recall that the centripetal acceleration on the car when it is in circular motion is [itex]v^2/R[/itex], where R is the radius of the loop.
If the car is to remain in the loop, this must be greater than the gravitational acceleration g.
To find the speed of the car at the top, use conservation of energy.

1) Solving the loop-the-loop problem requires understanding the concepts of centripetal force and conservation of energy. In order for the car to remain in contact with the circular track at all times, the centripetal force (provided by the normal force from the track) must be equal to the car's weight. This can be represented by the equation: Fc = mv^2/r = mg, where m is the mass of the car, v is the initial speed, r is the radius, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

To find the largest value of r, we can rearrange the equation to solve for r: r = mv^2/mg = v^2/g. Plugging in the values given, we get: r = (4.0 m/s)^2 / (9.8 m/s^2) = 1.63 m. Therefore, the largest radius the car can have is 1.63 meters.

2) For the skier hills problem, we need to use the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In this case, the work done by gravity as the skier goes down the first hill will be equal to the kinetic energy gained by the skier at the bottom of the hill. This can be represented by the equation: W = mgh = 1/2 mv^2, where m is the mass of the skier, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height of the first hill, and v is the speed of the skier at the bottom of the hill.

To find the height of the first hill, we can rearrange the equation to solve for h: h = 1/2 v^2/g. Plugging in the values given, we get: h = 1/2 (36 m)^2 / 9.8 m/s^2 = 66.12 m. Therefore, the height of the first hill must be at least 66.12 meters for the skier to just lose contact with the crest of the second hill.

I hope this helps you understand the problems better and how to approach them. Remember to always start by identifying the relevant concepts and equations, and then plug in the given values to solve for the unknowns. Good luck!

What does "desperate need of help" mean?

"Desperate need of help" refers to a situation in which someone is in urgent need of assistance or support, often facing a difficult or dangerous situation.

What are some common signs of someone in desperate need of help?

Some common signs of someone in desperate need of help may include asking for help directly, expressing feelings of hopelessness or despair, withdrawing from social interactions, or engaging in harmful behaviors.

How can I help someone who is in desperate need of help?

The best way to help someone in desperate need of help is to actively listen to them, offer your support and understanding, and encourage them to seek professional help if needed. You can also provide practical assistance, such as connecting them with resources or helping them develop coping strategies.

What should I do if I am in desperate need of help?

If you are in desperate need of help, it is important to reach out to someone you trust, such as a friend, family member, or mental health professional. You can also call a crisis hotline or seek support from online communities. Remember that asking for help is a sign of strength, not weakness.

How can I prevent someone from reaching a point of desperate need of help?

To prevent someone from reaching a point of desperate need of help, it is important to be aware of their well-being and regularly check in with them. Offer your support and listen to their concerns. Encourage them to seek help and provide resources if needed. It is also important to educate yourself and others about mental health and support systems in your community.