Calculating Acceleration and Tension in a Pulley System on an Inclined Plane

In summary, on a frictionless incline with an incline angle of 42.0°, a mass of 3.00 kg, a moment of inertia of 0.400 kgm2 for the pulley, and a radius of 0.145 m, the magnitude of the acceleration of the mass is 0.8931 m/s2, the magnitude of the angular acceleration of the pulley is 6.1599 rad/s2, and the tension in the string is 17 N.
squintyeyes
A mass is placed on a frictionless incline and attached to a pulley by a light string. The situation is sketched below.

The incline angle, theta, is 42.0°, the mass is 3.00 kg, the moment of inertia of the pulley is 0.400 kgm2 and the radius of the pulley is 0.145 m. The mass is released from rest.

(a) What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the mass?
___________m/s2
(b) What is the magnitude of the angular acceleration of the pulley?
___________rad/s2
(c) What is the tension in the string?
___________ N

Attempt
T =tension in the string which opposes mass
weight perpendicular to ramp = mgsinθ
a= linear acceleration
mgsinθ-T=ma

Iα=T*r(Because force on pulley is tension T and distance from center of pulley is r)

α=a/r

T=Iα/r=Ia/r2

substituting in
mgsinθ-Ia/r2=ma
mgsinθ=a(m+I/r2)
a=mgsinθ/(m+I/r2)=0.8931m/s2

b)α=0.9/0.145=6.1599rad/s2
c)T=Ia/r2=0.4*0.9/(0.145)2=17N

can someone who knows what they are doing look this over and fix any mistakes.
Please i really need this.

Attachments

• rotation picture.jpg
    rotation picture.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
That seems ok to me.

Welcome to PF!

Hi squintyeyes! Welcome to PF! :wink:

(I haven't checked your arithmetic :redface:, but apart from that I agree with Dick) your formulas are fine. :smile:

but my answers are marked wrong and i am down to my last try

(just got up :zzz: …)
squintyeyes said:
but my answers are marked wrong and i am down to my last try

hmm … it would have helped if you'd said that at the start. :redface:

well, I've looked at it again, including the arithmetic, and I can't see what's wrong.

Which parts are marked right, and which wrong?

How many sig figs are you supposed to enter? how many did you enter?

Are you supposed to use g = 9.8 or 9.81?

Are you sure it says "radius", not "diameter"?

Thanks for looking at this. I plugged the first two answers to three decimal places and got them both wrong and it says radius not diameter. I am lost. Thanks again

1. What is "desperate physics?"

"Desperate physics" refers to the idea of using unconventional or unorthodox methods in physics research in order to solve difficult problems or address unanswered questions.

2. Why is "desperate physics" a controversial topic?

Some people argue that desperate physics goes against the scientific method and can lead to false or unverifiable results. Others argue that in certain cases, desperate methods may be necessary in order to make progress in understanding the universe.

3. Can you give an example of a desperate physics experiment?

One example of a desperate physics experiment is the search for dark matter using underground detectors. These experiments are extremely difficult and costly, but they are considered desperate because they are attempting to detect a substance that has not yet been directly observed.

4. How does "desperate physics" differ from traditional physics?

Desperate physics often involves exploring unconventional ideas or theories that are not yet widely accepted in the scientific community. It also often involves using non-traditional methods or technologies in order to gather data or test hypotheses.

5. What impact does "desperate physics" have on the field of physics as a whole?

Desperate physics can have both positive and negative impacts on the field. On one hand, it can lead to breakthroughs and advancements in understanding the universe. On the other hand, it can also lead to wasted time and resources if the desperate methods do not yield valid results.