Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Desperately need help, mixed Dettol and Bleach, need to know more about the reaction

1. Dec 3, 2011 #1
    I accidentally threw dettol (chloroxylenol) down a clogged toilet drain without knowing there was already sodium hypochlorite there. For some strange reason, after flushing down once, it became even more clogged and it's still all lying there. I closed the door in fear of inhaling toxic fumes. I cannot find anything on the possible reactions caused by this mixture and am too scared to go inside until I know the reaction and it's possible health effects. I could find nothing whatsoever on google or anywhere else. Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Desperately need help, mixed Dettol and Bleach, need to know more about the react

Unless your toilet has something like a small toy or a feminine hygeine product lodged in it, you can just wait it out. The best thing to soften the usual toilet-related clogs is HOT WATER. Add it a bucket at a time and let the water level drop down as low as it will go before you add the second or third bucketful for best results. Patience is a virtue... as are stool softeners.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook