Calculating Heart Rate from CRT Display: A Guide for Beginners

• Thread starter QueryQueen86
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the operation of a CRT in a heart rate monitor. The time base is typically measured as time per distance, with a standard of 0.40s/cm. By measuring the distance between peaks on the display, one can calculate the time taken for one heart beat. The question also includes confusion about the time base measurement and how to approach the problem.
QueryQueen86
This question is on the operation of a CRT.

In a heart rate monitor, the time base is a standard 0.40s/ms.
The distance between adjacent peaks on the display is 1.25cm per heart beat.
Calculate the time taken for one heart beat.

Any help with this will be very much appreciated. I missed a few lectures due to illness and now I'm so behind. I don't even know where to start with this!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

I don't think I exactly understand your problem statement, because typically your oscilloscope will be given as time/div.

Now if you had said .40s/div then that would indicate to me that you have a .5sec peak to peak, for 1 heart beat, or 60/.5 = 120 beats per minute.

QueryQueen86 said:
In a heart rate monitor, the time base is a standard 0.40s/ms.
You have copied this down wrong. The timebase must be time/distance, ie 0.4s/cm

Then if you measure the distance on the screen (1.25cm) and you know how fast the trace is moving you can work out how many seconds the 1.25cm represents.

What does it mean when someone says "Desperately need your help"?

When someone says they desperately need your help, it means that they are in a serious or urgent situation and they require your assistance to resolve it.

Why do people use the phrase "Desperately need your help"?

People use this phrase when they feel a sense of urgency and importance in the situation they are facing. It conveys the seriousness of their need for help.

How can I help someone who says they "Desperately need your help"?

The best way to help someone who says they desperately need your help is to listen to their situation and offer your support and assistance. It may also be helpful to come up with possible solutions together.

What types of situations might lead someone to say "Desperately need your help"?

Someone may say this phrase when they have a personal or emotional crisis, a financial emergency, a medical issue, or when they are facing a difficult or dangerous situation.

Is it important to take someone seriously when they say they "Desperately need your help"?

Yes, it is important to take someone seriously when they say they desperately need your help. It is important to show empathy and support, and to try to understand the gravity of their situation and offer appropriate assistance.