1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Desperately need your help!

1. Feb 3, 2009 #1
    This question is on the operation of a CRT.

In a heart rate monitor, the time base is a standard 0.40s/ms.
    The distance between adjacent peaks on the display is 1.25cm per heart beat.
    Calculate the time taken for one heart beat.

Any help with this will be very much appreciated. I missed a few lectures due to illness and now I'm so behind. I don't even know where to start with this!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

I don't think I exactly understand your problem statement, because typically your oscilloscope will be given as time/div.

Now if you had said .40s/div then that would indicate to me that you have a .5sec peak to peak, for 1 heart beat, or 60/.5 = 120 beats per minute.

4. Feb 3, 2009 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have copied this down wrong. The timebase must be time/distance, ie 0.4s/cm

Then if you measure the distance on the screen (1.25cm) and you know how fast the trace is moving you can work out how many seconds the 1.25cm represents.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?