Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Destroyed in seconds

1. May 26, 2010 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

This is an incredible show, if you like watching incredible disasters. It's on right now on the Science Channel.

Try to catch it.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2010 #2
    Hmm, catchy title. At first I thought this thread was going to be about a pf user. Whew sign...

4. May 26, 2010 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is at the tabloid end of the discovery channel.
    I have been told off for shouting at the TV set!

announcer> "his car/boat/etc crashed at 100mph and only the safety cage survived and by a miracle Mr Idiot was unhurt"
    me> yes thats the point of the $%^&*% safety cage you idiot, it's called engineering!!!!

5. May 26, 2010 #4

Evo

Some idiot at a jet fuel plant throws a lit cigarette into a waste fuel deposit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KuGizBjDXo

MGB, that idiot in the boat...well, I'd have to ban myself if I said what needed to be done with that guy.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  6. May 26, 2010 #5
    This is why I don't work at a jet fuel plant...

7. May 26, 2010 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl i thought tthat too and was thinking evo needed to have her ban hammer taken away :P

8. May 26, 2010 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm just glad this thread didn't involve the Ravine of Doom.

9. May 26, 2010 #8
    Is this like Darwin awards on video?

10. May 26, 2010 #9

rcgldr

Homework Helper

That was Pepcon, and they made a component of rocket fuel, ammonium perchlorate, used for the shuttles, not jet fuel. They had been stock piling the stuff because the Challenger disaster shut down shuttle missions for a while. In addition, there was a 16 inch diameter high pressure natural gas line running through the middle of a plant making an explosive chemical. The large explosion is sometimes claimed to be due to the gas line rupturing, but the wiki article doesn't mention this. The initial fire was due to a welding accident. Wiki link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEPCON_disaster

In the video made by Dennis Todd, who was part of a television crew on a mountain (with antennas) overlooking the site, you can see the approaching shock waves from the two large explosions, then hear the sound. Destroyed in seconds has various versions of that video along with interviews. There are numerous versions at youtube.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  11. May 26, 2010 #10

Evo

Thanks for the clarification. A horrendous accident with luckily only 2 lives lost.

12. May 26, 2010 #11

Evo

No, most of the videos show no loss of life, or very little.

13. May 26, 2010 #12

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is a similar one about the San Bernardino train crash.
    A train's brakes fail, there is a community next the railroad tracks at the bottom of the hill, and they don't know there is a gasoline pipeline running under the town and the valves don't work....

It's like a calvin and hobbes cartoon.

14. May 26, 2010 #13

Evo

Did you see the fuel tanker explosion? OMG!!!

15. May 26, 2010 #14
    How exactly is this show related to Science?

16. May 26, 2010 #15

Evo

It's not.

17. May 26, 2010 #16

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A combination of explosions, crashes, idiots, and conservation of momentum - what more is there to science?

18. May 26, 2010 #17

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's posted on a science forum.

19. May 27, 2010 #18

Evo

Darn, I can't find that gas tanker explosion, it was incredible, in the Phillipines, IIRC. A semi ran into a gas tanker truck.

20. May 28, 2010 #19
    This one maybe?

The firework explosion in Enschede The Netherlands 2000 was rather devastating too with many casualties.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  21. May 28, 2010 #20

Evo

No, it was a tanker truck on a road that was hit by another truck. It was an amazing explosion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook