Can Anyone Easily Destroy Wikipedia Articles?

In summary, it is not easy for anyone to destroy Wikipedia articles due to strict guidelines, community editing, and backups of deleted content. While vandalism and misinformation do occur, the collaborative nature of Wikipedia makes it difficult for one individual to significantly alter or destroy articles. The site also has measures in place to quickly revert any malicious changes and prevent further damage. Ultimately, the vast majority of Wikipedia articles remain accurate and reliable sources of information.
aychamo
Hey guys

I just discovered (lol) Wikipedia the other day.. What stops anyone from going in and just destroying all the articles?

Computer science news on Phys.org
They probable have a CVS type system implemented. That means that all changes are noted and the admins can roll back to good version if things go bad.

dduardo said: They probable have a CVS type system implemented. That means that all changes are noted and the admins can roll back to good version if things go bad.
That's exactly right.

aychamo, you should look at the latest issue of Pop. Science. It has an article: What is a wiki? It explains your question.

Paden Roder

http://hprog.org is also a pretty good wiki. It was actually the first wiki I ever used and one of the first I've ever encountered.

They simply have a button that reverts the page to it's old version if someone has vandalized the page.

From what I've read, most administrators believe that the larger number of users that care will revert the page back if it is ever vandalized. Since the amount of users that care will outweigh the ones there to cause trouble.

That means that all changes are noted and the admins can roll back to good version if things go bad.

Can't anyone roll back to the good version @ wikipedia? Or is that an admin-only feature?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone can roll back a page to a previous version on wikipedia. You're not actually deleting anything, however -- you're just creating a new version whose text is the same as some previous version.

- Warren

What are the potential consequences of destroying Wikipedia articles?

The potential consequences of destroying Wikipedia articles can include the loss of valuable information, the disruption of collaborative knowledge sharing, and the violation of Wikipedia's terms of use. It can also damage the credibility and trustworthiness of Wikipedia as a reliable source of information.

How can someone destroy a Wikipedia article?

There are various ways that someone can destroy a Wikipedia article. This can include intentionally deleting or vandalizing content, adding false information, or continuously editing the article in a disruptive manner. It can also involve manipulating sources and references to mislead readers.

What measures does Wikipedia have in place to prevent article destruction?

Wikipedia has a number of measures in place to prevent article destruction, such as a team of volunteer editors who monitor and revert any malicious edits, a system that records all changes made to articles, and the ability for users to report vandalism and other issues. Additionally, Wikipedia has strict policies and guidelines that users must adhere to, and any violations can result in disciplinary actions.

Can destroyed Wikipedia articles be recovered?

In most cases, destroyed Wikipedia articles can be recovered through the use of page histories, which track all previous versions of an article. However, if an article is intentionally deleted by a Wikipedia administrator, it may not be possible to recover it. In these cases, it is recommended to reach out to the administrator for further information.

What should I do if I come across a destroyed Wikipedia article?

If you come across a destroyed Wikipedia article, you can help by reporting the issue to Wikipedia's volunteer editors. You can also use the "undo" function to revert the article back to its previous version. Additionally, consider reaching out to the article's creator or other editors for assistance in restoring the article to its original state.