Destructive Interference and Min. Distance

In summary, we used the formulas delta l = (m + .5) * wavelength and delta l = d sin theta to find the minimum distance of the cliff from Lydia's home where there is destructive interference. We also used the given information about the 180° phase shift to set up and solve the equations. The final answer is 63 km.
rachiebaby17

Homework Statement

A steep cliff west of Lydia's home reflects a 1205 kHz radio signal from a station that is 63 km due east of her home. If there is destructive interference, what is the minimum distance of the cliff from her home? Assume there is a 180° phase shift when the wave reflects from the cliff.

Homework Equations

delta l = (m + .5) * wavelength
delta l = d sin theta
A = l A1 - A2 l
I = I1 + I2 - ( 2 * (square root of I1 * I2))

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to start, I know I can find the wavelength but unsure how that relates to distance or how to find the distance from that.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there! I can help you with this problem. First, let's define some variables:

d = minimum distance of the cliff from Lydia's home
lambda = wavelength of the radio signal
m = integer representing the number of half-wavelengths between the source and the reflecting surface

Now, let's use the given information to find the wavelength of the radio signal. We can use the formula delta l = (m + .5) * wavelength, where delta l is the path difference between the direct and reflected waves. Since we know that there is a 180° phase shift when the wave reflects from the cliff, we can set m = 1 (since there is one half-wavelength between the source and the reflecting surface). Thus, we have:

delta l = (1 + .5) * wavelength
delta l = 1.5 * wavelength

Next, we can use the formula delta l = d sin theta, where delta l is the path difference and theta is the angle of incidence. Since we know that the angle of incidence is 180° (since the wave reflects directly back towards Lydia's home), we have:

delta l = d * sin(180°)
delta l = d * 0

This means that the path difference is 0, which tells us that the direct and reflected waves are in phase (constructive interference). However, we are looking for the minimum distance of the cliff from Lydia's home where there is destructive interference. This means that the path difference should be half of the wavelength (since there is a 180° phase shift), or:

delta l = 0.5 * wavelength

Now, we can set these two equations equal to each other and solve for d:

1.5 * wavelength = 0.5 * wavelength
wavelength = 63 km

Therefore, the minimum distance of the cliff from Lydia's home is 63 km. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need clarification on any of the steps.

As a scientist, it is important to understand the concept of destructive interference and how it affects the propagation of waves. In this scenario, we can use the concept of destructive interference to determine the minimum distance of the cliff from Lydia's home.

Destructive interference occurs when two waves of equal amplitude and opposite phase meet, resulting in a cancellation of the wave. In this case, the radio signal from the station is reflecting off the cliff and reaching Lydia's home. The reflected wave will have a phase shift of 180° compared to the original wave. This means that if we can determine the distance at which the reflected wave and the original wave will meet, we can find the minimum distance of the cliff from Lydia's home.

To find this distance, we can use the equation for path difference, which is delta l = (m + .5) * wavelength. In this equation, m represents the number of half-wavelengths between the two waves. As we are dealing with a phase shift of 180°, this means that m will be an odd number (1, 3, 5, etc.). We can also use the equation delta l = d sin theta, where d is the distance between the two waves and theta is the angle of incidence. In this case, theta will be 90° as the waves are meeting at a right angle.

Using both equations, we can set them equal to each other and solve for d, the minimum distance of the cliff from Lydia's home. This will give us the distance at which the two waves will meet and cancel each other out, resulting in destructive interference. By solving for d, we will have the answer to the given question.

In summary, as a scientist, it is important to understand the concept of destructive interference and how it affects the propagation of waves. By using the equations for path difference and distance, we can determine the minimum distance of the cliff from Lydia's home and provide an accurate response to the given content.

1. What is destructive interference?

Destructive interference occurs when two waves of the same frequency and amplitude meet and their crests and troughs align, resulting in a cancellation of the wave's amplitude. This causes the two waves to essentially cancel each other out.

2. How is destructive interference different from constructive interference?

Destructive interference is when two waves cancel each other out, resulting in a decrease in amplitude. In contrast, constructive interference is when two waves combine to increase the amplitude of the resulting wave.

3. What factors affect the amount of destructive interference?

The amount of destructive interference is affected by the amplitude and frequency of the waves, as well as the distance between the sources of the waves. The more similar these factors are, the greater the destructive interference will be.

4. How is the minimum distance for destructive interference determined?

The minimum distance for destructive interference is determined by the wavelength of the waves. When two waves of the same frequency and amplitude meet at a distance equal to half of the wavelength, destructive interference will occur.

5. What are some real-life examples of destructive interference?

Some real-life examples of destructive interference include noise-cancelling headphones, where sound waves from outside sources are cancelled out by waves created by the headphones, and radio transmission, where multiple radio signals can interfere with each other and cause distortion. Destructive interference can also be observed in water waves, such as when waves from different directions meet and cancel each other out in the ocean.