Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Destructive Interference

1. Dec 19, 2004 #1
    Good day

I have tried the following problem a few times and come up with ansers larger than 3.20m.

The problem: Two speakers are 3.20m apart and facing the same direction and are in phase. They each produce a 214Hz tone. What is the shortest distance directly in front of one speaker where there would be destructive interference? S of Sound is 343 m/s

Am I correct in using m=0?

Thanks for your time

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2004 #2
    destructive interference between two waves occurs at m+(1/2) where m=0,1,2,3,...

so, m=0 would be incorrect.

4. Dec 20, 2004 #3
    confused

Hi Gentec
    That's a very interesting question -- have you ever been in a room with zero sound from two speakers.
    Although they are waves they are Longitudinal I cannot see how such two waves can cancel (in front of one speaker ) being that their directions are very different -- by destructive do you mean minimal sound or zero sound ?
    Transverse waves ( to me can cencel irrispective of direction ) but longitudinal I can only see cancelling if they are in the SAME direction .
    As I say confused
    Ray.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?