Can Two Speakers Produce Destructive Interference with Longitudinal Waves?

In summary, the speakers are facing the same direction and are 3.20m apart, producing a 214Hz tone. The shortest distance for destructive interference to occur is m+(1/2), where m=0,1,2,3,... and S of Sound is 343 m/s. It is incorrect to use m=0 in this situation and the concept of destructive interference may not apply in this scenario.
Gentec
Good day

I have tried the following problem a few times and come up with ansers larger than 3.20m.

The problem: Two speakers are 3.20m apart and facing the same direction and are in phase. They each produce a 214Hz tone. What is the shortest distance directly in front of one speaker where there would be destructive interference? S of Sound is 343 m/s

Am I correct in using m=0?

Thanks for your time

Science news on Phys.org
destructive interference between two waves occurs at m+(1/2) where m=0,1,2,3,...

so, m=0 would be incorrect.

confused

Hi Gentec
That's a very interesting question -- have you ever been in a room with zero sound from two speakers.
Although they are waves they are Longitudinal I cannot see how such two waves can cancel (in front of one speaker ) being that their directions are very different -- by destructive do you mean minimal sound or zero sound ?
Transverse waves ( to me can cencel irrispective of direction ) but longitudinal I can only see cancelling if they are in the SAME direction .
As I say confused
Ray.

1. What is destructive interference?

Destructive interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two waves with opposite amplitudes meet and cancel each other out. This results in a decrease or complete elimination of the overall amplitude of the wave.

2. How does destructive interference differ from constructive interference?

Destructive interference is the opposite of constructive interference, where two waves with the same amplitude meet and combine to form a larger amplitude. In destructive interference, the waves have opposite amplitudes and cancel each other out.

3. What causes destructive interference?

Destructive interference is caused by the superposition of waves with opposite phases. When the peaks of one wave align with the troughs of another wave, they cancel each other out, resulting in destructive interference.

4. What are some real-life examples of destructive interference?

One example of destructive interference is the noise-cancelling headphones, where a second sound wave with an opposite amplitude is generated to cancel out the incoming sound wave, resulting in reduced noise. Another example is the destructive interference of ocean waves, where the incoming waves cancel each other out, resulting in calm waters.

5. How is destructive interference used in science and technology?

Destructive interference is used in various scientific and technological applications, such as in noise-cancelling technology, optical interference filters, and in radio and telecommunication systems to reduce signal interference. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as ultrasound, to produce clearer images by reducing unwanted echoes.