1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Destructive Interference

1. Dec 19, 2004 #1
    Good day

I have tried the following problem a few times and come up with ansers larger than 3.20m.

The problem: Two speakers are 3.20m apart and facing the same direction and are in phase. They each produce a 214Hz tone. What is the shortest distance directly in front of one speaker where there would be destructive interference? S of Sound is 343 m/s

Am I correct in using m=0?

Thanks for your time

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2004 #2
    destructive interference between two waves occurs at m+(1/2) where m=0,1,2,3,...

so, m=0 would be incorrect.

4. Dec 20, 2004 #3
    confused

Hi Gentec
    That's a very interesting question -- have you ever been in a room with zero sound from two speakers.
    Although they are waves they are Longitudinal I cannot see how such two waves can cancel (in front of one speaker ) being that their directions are very different -- by destructive do you mean minimal sound or zero sound ?
    Transverse waves ( to me can cencel irrispective of direction ) but longitudinal I can only see cancelling if they are in the SAME direction .
    As I say confused
    Ray.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook